Classical Baby is a HBO animated series that began in 2005. The series consists of several specials featuring various shorts. Most episodes features classical music set to animations.
There are five episodes: "The Music Show", "The Art Show", "The Dance Show", "Classical Baby 1", and "Classical Baby 2". There was also a 2008 episode called "Classical Baby (I'm All Grown Up Now): The Poetry Show" aimed at older children.
The series has been met with mixed reception. Many parents and child psychologists condemned the series for being aimed at infants and toddlers, while others enjoyed the series for teaching young children about art. Despite the rocky reception, Classical Baby has won several awards.
Classical Baby consists of:
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Frequently pop up, such as the purple owl in "The Owl and the Pussycat".
- Ambiguous Gender: The unnamed baby is given no explicit gender and is androgynous looking. Even when they're old enough to talk in "The Poetry Show", they have a neutral sounding child's voice and wear unisex clothes.
- Art Shift: Each short uses a different art-style.
- Have a Gay Old Time: Two of the poems in "The Poetry Show". "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" has the line "My little horse must think it queer to stop without a farmhouse here". The poem "The Owl and the Pussycat" features frequent usage of "pussy" in reference to a (female) cat.
- Interspecies Romance: Pops up, such as in the poem "The Owl and the Pussycat" which is about a Funny Animal owl and cat who are in love.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: The owl and his cat wife in "The Owl and the Pussycat".