Thomas tries to get the steamies and diesels to help build Sodor's new airport.
Calling All Engines! contains examples of:
- The Bus Came Back:
- Daisy makes a rather brief first appearance since season 4.
- Diesel 10 has returned, and this time he's here to stay.
- Lady also appears in Thomas' dream.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: Emily was dismissive of Thomas' company in the sheds since she wanted some sleep, but she learned how comfortable it is to have the company of friends and once Tidmouth Sheds was rebuilt, she was transferred there to be with the other engines.
- Enemy Mine: The engines and diesels learn to put aside their differences and work together to built Sodor's airport.
- Fantastic Racism: A huge plot point of the special. Even after this, it still remains throughout the rest of the series.
- Jerkass Ball: Emily is depicted as being uncomfortable with Thomas' company when he need to find a place to stay. She does have a change of heart however near the end.
- The Movie: The first feature-length production to be such.
- Musical Chores: "Busy".
- Nightmare Sequence: The engines dream what would happen to them had the railway closed forever: James turns into a carnival game, Gordon turns into a playground slide, Edward turns into a scarecrow, and Percy turns into a rollercoaster.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: This happened when Thomas unintentionally moved the trucks off the rails, knocking down the water tower towards the airport. This prompts him to go and find Diesel 10 for help.
- Opinion-Changing Dream: Thomas had a dream where Lady and Rusty worked together, and it showed him that steamies and diesels can and should work together.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Diesel 10, while still grumpy, is now a helpful engine who wants to be "really useful", which is a complete 180 from his characterization in Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- Trash the Set: The original Tidmouth Sheds seen up to now is demolished, and rebuilt at the end with an extra berth for Emily.
- We ARE Struggling Together: The steam engines and diesels biff each other to various things, causing them to become dirty. As a result, nothing gets done and The Fat Controller angrily lets them know it.
- Wham Episode: Tidmouth Sheds is demolished and rebuilt with an extra berth so Emily can stay.