It's the 1950's in a fantasy world that resembles our own and magic is fading. Technology has replaced magic in peoples' everyday lives and many people view magic users with some level of suspicion and fear. The governments and churches of the world have cornered and controlled the knowledge of magic, as well as patterning over its place in the history.
However, there are those who lived through much of the past, the Templars of the Shifting Verse. They are four immortals led by the revered Augustus Praxio and housed in a mysterious stone temple, The Hall, (with a living extension for comfort) that has the ability to teleport around the world. Throughout history they have intervened suddenly and precisely at key moments where dark forces threatened to overwhelm the world. Their story has warped - as history often does - into mythology, and no-one but they know the full truth. Many believe they are an army led by a demigod, other's believe they are a dangerous cult - they are careful to maintain their mystery and privacy, but can it survive the onset of the communication age?
Provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: Augustus is of questionable heroic standing.
- Byronic Hero: Augustus
- Fantastic Racism: There is tension between the pointed ear humans of the Barrucian continent and the rounded eared humans of the Aramorian continent.
- Genre Mashup: The story is fantasy, yet dips into horror, romance and noir.
- Immortal Hero: The Templars are immortal.
- Immortal Immaturity: Augustus, Loria and Dantes all became immortal at an early age - so they have limited real life development outside of their adventures.
- Messianic Archetype: Augustus is seen a a messiah figure by many in the world.
- Reincarnation: The generally held belief is that souls return to life as new people.
- Resurrective Immortality: The Templars can die and be injured, but they always return three days later in the Hall.
- Science Destroys Magic: It's either fading from the world or people just don't care for it any more. Why learn to make fire from your soul when you have a match?
- The Chosen One: Augustus is seemingly chosen by the dormant Hall to be the catalyst for its awakening.
- The Chosen Many: Augustus is later joined by Loria, Dantes and Urn at various points in history - though none of them are aware of the criteria for becoming immortal.
- There Is a God!: Year 0, everyone in the world sees a vision of a Goddess. It's hard to argue that it was nothing.
- Things That Go "Bump" in the Night: At midnight, the world is visited by shadowy humanoid figures who talk nonsense and occasionally murder people.
- Urban Fantasy: The majority of the story takes place in the 1950's of the world.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Augustus is often questioned by his peers for his actions.