TWIYEH borrows its characters and some of its concepts from Kytri's first webcomic, The Rift, an Orphaned Series about a gang of bounty hunters. The Rift was ended in February 2010 due to lack of interest, but TWIYEH was started a few months later in May 2010.
While the characters from The Rift are the main players in the comic, several characters from Kytri's Team Fortress 2 fancomic, Cuanta Vida, have been appearing as major and minor characters, earning TWIYEH a sizable fanbase.
More information, as well as character bios, can be found here.
Also has a character sheet.
The comic came to an end on October 6th, 2019.
This Is the Worst Idea You've Ever Had! provides examples of:
- Abandoned Info Page: Averted for now. New characters get added after they are introduced in the comic.
- Alternate Universe: Of both The Rift and Cuanta Vida.
- Ambiguously Brown: Averted for most of the characters, but played straight with Dawn.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Cynthia the Catgirl says vampires don't exist.
- Badass Adorable: Tiny Carmilla, who looks like she could be broken over one knee, corsets and all? Yeah, she punches through doors and flings them into the sky.
- Bland-Name Product: Burrito Gong, although its actually Mexican/Chinese fusion rather than The Theme Park Version of Mexican food.
- Blood Lust: Sure, Rika is a vampire, but she's the first to display a textbook example.
- Changeling Tale: Turns out Ian is a fae, his human counterpart having recently turned up.
- Cast From Hitpoints: Magic users can suffer "burnout" if they're not careful. Some of them even die from it.
- Catgirl: Cynthia is a Beastman, a biological human with some animal features. Additionally, Nai'ka are a species of people with cat-like features.
- Drives Like Crazy:
- Sergio parks like crazy, anyway.
- Gabry apparently drives like how any stereotypically Italian man would.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Caine thinks Sergio is "kinda dreamy."
- Establishing Character Moment: Gabry's very first appearance in the main comic has him asking a total stranger if she's okay after he sees her date pushing her around.
- Faceless Eye: On or above various doors and caskets around Sergio's home.
- Facepalm: Ian, rather epically, here.
- Fantastic Racism: The Nai'ka are treated like sub-human species.Amun: I am not a people.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Whatever you're picturing, stop it.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Gabry smokes and he is awesome. Sergio smokes and he is... less awesome.
- Halloween Cosplay: "TWIYEH! characters dressed as TF2 characters, yep."
- Head Pet: Nummy Muffin must be pretty well-trained to sit on Cynthia's head like that.
- Inhumanable Alien Rights: While it's still a crime to kill them, the Nai'ka are legally considered to be animals. They have no human rights to speak of, and the police are generally quite unwilling to investigate crimes where Nai'ka are the victims as it's considered to be "animal abuse". It doesn't help that they tend to be quite trusting and easy to exploit. Rei is a fairly prominent speaker for Nai'ka rights as a result of all the crap his kind has been put through.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Ian and Nicole.
- Kill It with Fire: One possible method for killing vampires. Like Sergio, for example.
- Last-Name Basis: "Rei" is Rei's surname (his given name is Tohru).
- Little Bit Beastly: The Beastmen — biological humans with animal features. This includes Cynthia, Kimmie (the daughter of Cynthia's boss, a field mouse) and Jeremy (a rabbit). Apparently, there's surgery available that can make Beastmen look more like normal humans.
- Major Injury Under Reaction:Nicole: "There's a sword in you!"
- An earlier example has a bullet to the head causing only a one eyed death glare
- Manchild: Caine states he "doesn't wanna be an adult" when told the gang's Halloween party is a dinner party.
- Mainlining the Monster: For a given value of "monster". Nai'ka blood induces magic in people who don't have it. The first arc involves tracking down a serial killer who harvests it.
- Monster Roommate: Cynthia would seem to fill this role, except Nicole and Ian aren't exactly normal humans.
- Mundane Fantastic: Somewhere between this and Urban Fantasy.
- Must Be Invited: Discussed when Nicole and Cynthia argue about whether or whether not a vampire could come into their car uninvited.
- Name of Cain: Subverted; Caine's a goofball more concerned with burritos and trying to get into a nightclub by annoying the bouncer than anything else.
- OOC Is Serious Business: "Oh my God! She's letting him drive her car!"
- Our Elves Are Different: They don't actually seem to be much different from humans.
- Our Fairies Are Different: Fae are monsters that feed on magic (and magical creatures) and are difficult to kill.
- Our Vampires Are Different:
- They follow most traditional European vampire myths, which ironically enough makes them quite different from most modern vampires.
- Nai'ka are cat-like humanoids with odd hair colors.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Nummy Muffin Coocolbutter, which is fitting, considering its namesake.
- Rotating Protagonist: Chapter 1 focuses on Nicole, and Chapter 2 focuses on Cynthia. Kytri has recently revealed the rotation for the next three chapters.
- Running Gag: Caine wants to go to Burrito Gong.
- Shipper on Deck: Cynthia wants Jeremy to be with Jordi.
- Visible Silence: After Caine describes Sergio as "dreamy."
- WHAM Episode: The killer of the Nai'ka girl is Jeremy's room-mate, Miguel...who happens to re-use the same character design as the villain from Cuanta Vida, Rojo (except he wears glasses).
- When She Smiles
- You Taste Delicious: A variation: "You smell rather... delicious." "Ew."
Sin Pararse is a prequel comic about the relationship of Gabry and Liam. It is set in the TWIYEH Universe and has a darker overall tone than either Cuanta Vida or TWIYEH.
Sin Pararse features examples of:
- Anything That Moves: Gabry, who "will do pretty much anyone who is of legal age and has the mental capacity to consent."
- Badass Longcoat: Liam
- *Click* Hello: Page 7.
- Cute Little Fangs: Liam, in panel four of this page.
- Darker and Edgier
- Dramatic Gun Cock
- Establishing Character Moment: Gabry has an entirely different one here to the one he has in TWIYEH (a good compare and contrast, to show all the Character Development he goes through) - here, he mostly refuses to talk to a therapist for fear of being considered crazy, and then gets excited and petulant about an assassination job.
- Fan Nickname: Gabry's fuckbuddy, Avery, is known almost exclusively as Wonderfag on the forum.
- Favouritism Flip Flop: Gabry didn't want a job until it turned out someone else was already doing it.
- Freudian Couch
- Jerkass: Avery. "You know, I don't come here to hear you talk."
- Mythology Gag: In Cuanta Vida, Milosh would have been the BLU Spy prior to Jordi.
- Pretty Little Headshots
- Professional Killer: As part of Darker and Edgier, below.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Gabry is carefree and teasing (Red), while Liam is serious and stoic (Blue). They even wear their respective colors, albeit it's to reference a certain webcomic. They're also a bit of an Odd Couple.
- Repetitive Name: Averted with Liam Williamson. Word of God says his first name is not short for William, his parents weren't that cruel.
- Straight Gay: Word of God says that most people that meet Liam don't even realize he's gay.
- Tap on the Head
- There Are No Therapists: Averted
- Although it's played with - Gabry does go to therapy sessions, but he doesn't really know what to talk about, there are some things he just doesn't want to talk about, he lies about important issues that may help him to talk about and he's being forced to go to them anyway. So whether the therapy would actually have a positive effect remains to be seen. Word of God mentions that Gabry isn't going to therapy anymore in Worst Idea, so it's still unknown whether this is because the therapy actually worked or if it didn't and he found other ways of sorting through his issues.
- Translation Convention: Text intended to be in a foreign language <is encased in these angle brackets.>
- Weaksauce Weakness: Fae are vulnerable to iron, not cold iron, ordinary iron.