Our main character is wandering in the desert, with no memories, and wondering even how he knows that a vulture is called a vulture. As other robots arrive, they are quite certain they know that he's Bukley, and that it's reason enough to take him prisoner.
Unfortunately the hosting site has expired and no known archive has been found. (The original site is now hosting annoying browser hijacking pages so is not listed here.)
- The Bard: One concludes the chapter, singing about the events in it.
- The Cavalry: Other robots appear after he's been kidnapped.
- Circling Vultures: A vulture comes to look at our wandering main character. Despite his being a robot and so slightly inedible.
- Color Wash: the color palette is all tinted toward ruddy orange.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Desaturated, and shifted orange
- Easy Amnesia: Apparently. At least, the character doesn't remember anything. Until the appearance of the other robot that he purported is puts an end to that possibility.
- Feathered Fiend: The vulture gives him the eye.
- Glowing Eyes: On a lizard.
- I Work Alone: "I love solitude"
- Loss of Identity: The central robot considers what he wants to become.
- MacGuffin: The missing star on the memoryless robot
- Really Was Born Yesterday: the other memory possibility. Established as the truth in due course.
- Space Western: Apparently, though little of the world has been revealed
- That Liar Lies: His claims of ignorance are dismissed.
- To the Pain: He's threatened with torture
- Who's Laughing Now?: When he's captured by the first robots he meets.