Movie Night, sometimes called Movie Night with Jonathan Paula, is a movie review show on YouTube.
Hosted by Jonathan Paula, one of the creators of Is It a Good Idea to Microwave This?, the show typically reviews 3-5 movies per episode. Each episode's movies have a theme of some kind (time travel, superhero, movies with the same lead actor, etc). In addition, the show encourages Audience Participation by featuring reviews from YouTube comments and Twitter. All movies are rated on a scale of 1 (Garbage) to 10 (Amazing), and has a list of Factor Facts (though the Factors haven't been featured as of late, because they just factor in the overall score).
This series contains examples of:
- Audience Participation:
- At the end of each episode, Jonathan tells the audience what the next week's episode will feature. This allows people to review the movies, which may be featured in the following episode
- There are also Tweet Critiques, reviews of new movies submitted via Twitter.
- Author Appeal: It's clear that, at 6 episodes and counting, Jonathan really likes his Superhero movies.
- Broke the Rating Scale: Jonathan says that an all 0 scale on his list of Factors shouldn't be possible, but he made an exception with Manos: The Hands of Fate because it was that bad.
- Catchphrase: "Have a good Movie Night!" Said at the end of each episode.
- Deadpan Snarker: He doesn't hold back on movies that deserve it.
- Large Ham: Jonathan tends to ham it up some of his intros. The intro to this episode featuring Troll 2 takes the cake.
- Rule of Fun:
- Take That!:
- In one episode, Jonathan reviewed Manos: The Hands of Fate. He said that you "couldn't make a worse movie if you rubbed excrement on it and ran belching audio for 90 minutes."
- A double take that — he reviewed Disaster Movie in the same episode, and said that said excrement comment he made was the same plot as Disaster Movie.
- Up to Eleven: His review of This is Spın̈al Tap, naturally, goes up to 11.