Gundam Build Real (ガンダムビルドリアル) is a Japanese Live-Action web series, uploaded on the official Gundam Channel on YouTube. Like SD Gundam World Sangoku Soketsuden, it has a monthly schedule, with each episode releasing near the end of every month from March 29, 2021 onward (The exception being Episode 5, which released in the middle of July on the 13th). As of December 1st, all six episodes are available on GundamInfo YouTube channel with English, French, Thai, Korean, and Chinese subtitles.
Our protagonist Hiro created Team BRIGHT along with his friends when they were in elementary school. The team attracted much attention, especially armament specialist Sota, but their Gunpla (an RX-78-2 Gundam) disappeared on the day before the tournament, leading them to quarrel and split up. Now, four years later, the former group record-keeper Imaizumi sends the other members a video and they meet at their old school. However, Imaizumi isn't there, and Hiro and his friends find something else instead; a Real Grade model of RX-78.
This rekindles Hiro and Sota's passion for Gunpla battling after they first test it on their first Gunpla Battle since elementary-school, and thus they decided to put the team back together to participate for the National Tournament, all the while overcoming the many trials that awaits them.
Tropes associated with Gundam Build Real include the following:
- Childhood Friends: The entire Team Bright, first established when its members were in sixth grade.
- Darker and Edgier: Zigzagged - while each team faces very real issues like their own convictions bringing them to conflict, you get a few Gundam Build staples like the Gang of Hats in episode 3.
- Dorama: This is a Gundam Build series in the style of one.
- Medium Blending: The series is live-action but the Gunpla battles are animated in CG mixed with real life backgrounds.
- Meaningful Name: The "Real" is Gundam Build Real's title refers to both the series being portrayed by live actors (AKA Real people) and the series focusing on Real Grade Gunpla models.
- Merchandise-Driven: This series focus is on selling the Real Grade line of Gunpla kits, and most Gunpla featured in the show are basically reissues of past Real Grade models with new colors and/or decals. The two main Gunplas, the protagonist team's RX-78-2 (Team Bright Custom) and their rival's High Mobility Type Zaku II (Team Monstre Custom) are sold as Premium Bandai exclusives.
- Mini Series: With a total of six episodes.
- Mythology Gag:
- Of course the team that named themselves after Bright Noa would be using the original Gundam as their go-to Gunpla.
- The opponent in episode 3 is a Freedom Gundam done up in pink and white, much like the Strike Rouge being a recolored Strike Gundam.
- Oddball in the Series: Unlike previous Build series, which were all anime, Gundam Build Real is a live-action series with characters being portrayed by real-life actors. This also makes this the second live-action project in the Gundam franchise since G-Saviour. Also, while previous Build series focuses on selling all ages High Grade kits, this show instead focuses on the more collector targeted Real Grade kits.