Vinty is adored by everyone for her world-famous calligraphy work.
Or at least, that's what she wants to think. In reality she spends days sitting out on the street trying to sell her calligraphy with no success, has to deal with street trolls, and has a part time job that she hates but puts up with so she can pay her Cranky Landlord.
Without Within is a Ren'Py-based indie Visual Novel free for download on Steam. There is also a sequel, Without Within 2, where Vinty is invited to a calligraphy gathering in Melbourne, Australia and meets a famous calligraphist, Excelia.
Tropes for Without Within:
- Crashing Dreams: Wakes up when the fans in her dreams begin repeatedly calling her "Miss Vinty" - it's actually her Cranky Landlord nagging about the rent.
- Dream Sequence: The intro is of her being a famous calligraphist.
- Eyes Always Shut: Vinty.
- Multiple Endings: There are a few A or B decisions in the game, each of them only has one answer that doesn't give you a bad ending. The failing answer usually involves giving into Vinty's Berserk Button.
- Not a Morning Person: Vinty. One of the first choices is to wake up or stay in bed. Choosing to stay in bed gives you the bad ending.
- Street Performer: Vinty tries to sell her calligraphy on the streets.