It began life as a complicated strategy game he played with his friends. He started turning this game into a mod for the original Escape Velocity, but due to engine limitations he could not complete it and put it aside for other projects. When EV Nova came out, he decided to complete what he had started 6 years previously, and he had finished it less than a year later, making it one of the first Nova total conversions to be completed.
It has its own website here; however download links that don't rely on Stuffit are tricky to find.
Polycon provides examples of the following tropes:
- Absent Aliens: Inverted; the mod provides an example of Absent Humans instead. Humanity exists, but we're still using Soyuz capsules.
- Abusive Precursors: The Takari engineered the Polyconians to terraform worlds for them, then would employ a killswitch virus to exterminate them and set up house. Eventually one batch of Polyconians got wise to their creators' Evil Plan and turned on them, forcing the Takari to trigger the virus prematurely. Unfortunately this batch of Polyconians was genetically close enough to the Takari that the virus jumped the species barrier and wiped them out.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The Robotic Plague is Exactly What It Says on the Tin: a race of parasitic machines that were built by Polycon as weapons and worked too well.
- Benevolent Precursors: The Vogons, last of the Origin Species, defend the Jains' descendants the Venerians from all aggressors.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: The game features two superweapons capable of destroying planets and stations: the Maelstrom superlaser, and the coretap, a missile tipped with thermal explosive that burrows into a planet's core before detonating.
- The Empire: Polycon.
- Infinity +1 Sword: The Polyconian-built Genocide Cruiser (lower right corner in the page image). It's absurdly easy to upgrade it to the point where nothing the AI throws at you has a prayer of taking you out, and if you don't feel like outfighting them, you can just as easily outrun them.
- Living Ship: The Sorhal are a race of sapient starships.
- Mega-Corp: Vecon, a shipbuilding company that controls its own small warfleet and builds most of the military vessels used by the Polyconians.
- Precursors: The Origin Species, the Takari, Jains, and Vogons. The Vogons still remain and protect the Jains' descendants the Venerians.
- The Republic: The Meridians, a rare combination of The Republic and Proud Warrior Race Guy. They hold their own against the Polyconians by sheer brute force.
- Silicon-Based Life: The Draconens are believed to be this.
- Translator Microbes: You can buy translator chips that will allow you to read the Flavor Text for some alien planets, e.g. Draconen worlds.
- We Will Use Lasers in the Future: Combo of both trope variants. Frickin' Laser Beams of one form or another are the short range weapon of choice for every faction except the Meridians and Naglafar, the latter of which buy from the former. Their pneumatically accelerated kinetic guns have superior range to the various types of particle beams used by the others, but are well behind on firepower.