- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: Even this wiki isn't immune to this:
- Colbert Bump:
- This has happened on this very wiki! (not repeatedly, though): after TV Tropes was mentioned in XKCD, a mob of newbies washed over the forums and wiki, trashing the servers.
- Through the nature of Wiki Walking, TV Tropes itself has a tendency to give support to YouTube videos that illustrate a certain trope. These videos would otherwise probably fall into YouTube obscurity, and thus you may see a top comment saying "Who else got here from TV Tropes?"
- Demand Overload: The site nearly ran into this during The Google Incident.
- Fan Community Nicknames: Tropers.
- Follow the Leader: To Wikipedia.
- Stock phrase titles were never good trope namers to begin with, but two tropes can be traced to this titling convention's ultimate downfall: I Eat Metaphor For Breakfast and What Year Is This?. TRS threads for both ended up uncovering a massive epidemic of Trope Decay involving stock phrases. As a result, in mid-2011 it was decreed that No New Stock Phrases would be used as trope titles.
- Naughty Tentacles and The Second Google Incident killed Porn Tropes and led to the creation of a new organization of Tropers dedicated to screening new and existing pages for adult content. If a page was lucky, it came back locked. If not, it was hit with a salted nuke. Also, the creation of new porn-related pages is today considered by This Very Wiki to be our equivalent of a capital offense. As far as tropes go, Naughty Tentacles in particular is to blame for that. While it did eventually return later, it would be a locked example-free definition page.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: It's become harder and harder to find archives of some of the old Troper Tales as time has gone on. Some tales were never archived at all.
- Newbie Boom: This wiki gets a Newbie Boom each time an outside community links in. xkcd linked here once and killed the server for part of a day.
- Old Shame: Many longtime tropers are ashamed of the former Troper Tales and Fetish Fuel sections of the site, and for good reason. The entries there were so... uh, off-color, giving way Too Much Information about the tropers who posted there, that they damn near dragged this site's reputation down to the level of 4chan. Thankfully, it was removed and will never come back. The two sections were moved to separate sites, which are now both offline.
- The Wiki Rule: TV Tropes is one for media and storytelling.
- Unintentional Period Piece: Given its reliance on informal writing style and pop culture references, it can be made very apparent when a certain entry or article was made (even when there are efforts to minimize such datings), for example something written in the mid-to-late 2000's containing plenty of references to Haruhi Suzumiya or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
- Why Fandom Can't Have Nice Things: So many instances that it has it's own page.
- What Could Have Been: Some of the alternate names on the crowner that eventually renamed You Know That Thing Where to Trope Launch Pad: Trope Lab, Trope R&D, Trope Nursery, Build-A-Trope, and even "how odd!".
Trivia / TV Tropes