Miss Daizi is a 2009 animated short film by the Chinese animation company Pingpig Studio. Miss Daizi chronicles the story of a plastic bag and a cup, which ends on very sad note, when the cup dies and dissolves and she doesn't, as she can't biodegrade, leaving her with a horrible reminder.
Tropes for Miss Daizi:
- Animesque: Some degree with the artstyle.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Miss Daizi and the Cup.
- Artistic License Physics: The whole message about this otherwise sadistic cartoon is that plastic doesn't biodegrade, but the truth is that not only does plastic biodegrade (it takes 1,000 years, but it still happens), but plastic bags biodegrade much, much quicker than many other forms of plastic at about 10-20 years.
- Awful Truth: Cup's death is set up to be this.
- Blush Stickers: Daizi, has these as per her bag designs
- Black Comedy: To some degree with the deaths of the cockroach, cat, and the fish at different points.
- Driven to Suicide: The titular Miss Daizi when she realizes that she cannot biodegrade (like the Cup did). She fails.
- Green Aesop: Specifically, about plastic pollution, as plastic doesn't break down like paper does and plastic bags tend to be a common form of this kind of pollution.
- MayflyDecember Romance: While they cannot really age (in the sense that humans/animals do), this fits to some degree, as Miss Daizi outlives Cup, as the latter biodegrades, while she is depicted as not being able to biodegrade.
- No Name Given: The Cup. Viewers generally call him "Cup"
- Reality Ensues: Plastic bags can be quite durable but, durability aside, they can get worn out, thus, when Daizi gets a hole, she gets tossed out. Later played with by meta example - plastic bags DO biodegrade after about 20 years, however, that's if they're exposed to elements and, by sealing herself in a box, Miss Daizi delays this
- Silence Is Golden: Neither the cup or Miss Daizi speak outside of squeaking noises.
- Single Tear: Miss Daizi in the beginning when she leaps off of a building
- Together in Death: Miss Daizi attempts this and, as we can see, she fails.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: This comes naturally considering the titular's circumstances.Though the reality is she would have had to wait about 10-20 years to decompose (which is pretty long, no doubt) if exposed to the elements long enough and join Cup but this still applies as she delays that process by sealing herself up in a box.