Not pink or purple or yellow,
Not brown like Mister Othello,
But blue, blue, blue!
Blue can be a complicated color to describe. Blue is traditionally the color of both the sky and of water (especially deep water), and of various fruits and flowers, and a common eye color in humans indigenous to western Eurasia and in many species of mammals, and one of the main colors of natural beauty in general. Despite that, it's one of the rarest colors in nature past the sea and sky: natural blue pigment is hard to come by compared to other colors, and most blue animals, especially on land, instead carry light-diffracting structures on their surfaces to give the illusion of blueness.
Among humans, blue is statistically the most common personal favorite color. Part of this might be because that aforementioned rarity in nature makes it pop out more compared to other colors. On the flipside, blue is a very common color in flags, heraldry and politics. Blue is also a potent symbol of deep emotion, especially sadness.
- Blue Is Calm: Blue is calm, peaceful, and serene.
- Blue Is Heroic: The color blue associated with heroes.
- Blue Means Cold: The color blue associated with cold or freezing temperatures.
- Blue with Shock: When a bluish face symbolizes horror.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: An unsettling variety of blue eyes given to particularly degenerate and creepy characters.
- Elderly Blue-Haired Lady: Older women who dye their graying hair blue.
- Green Is Blue: Eastern symbols for "blue" and "green" being the same.
- Heavenly Blue: The color blue associated with the heavens and other heavenly things like angels.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Pale blue eyes representing coolness or coldness, in personality, in nature, or both.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Blue eyes symbolizing innocence.
- Occult Blue Eyes: Blue eyes indicating a character possesses supernatural abilities or origins.
- Old, New, Borrowed and Blue: An old English tradition describing the four things a bride must carry at her wedding.
- Orange/Blue Contrast: A popular Color Contrast between blue and orange.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Two characters, one wearing red and the other wearing blue, have different personalities. The one wearing blue is usually the more laid back of the two.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: A girl with blue hair depicted as shy.
- True Blue Femininity: Using blue to represent femininity.
- Unnaturally Blue Lighting: When the color blue overwhelms a scene and instills negative feelings.
- Water Is Blue: Water portrayed as blue in fiction to make animating it easier.
- Yellow Lightning, Blue Lightning: Cartoonish colors for lightning.