- California Doubling: Inversion. Despite taking place in 1960s Los Angeles, the film was shot in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Enforced Method Acting: To establish the bond between Smalls and Benny, David Mickey Evans brought Tom Guiry and Mike Vitar to the production a couple of weeks before the other boys so they could rehearse and get to know each other. It worked so well that when the other actors arrived, they genuinely believed that the two had been long time friends.
- Irony as She Is Cast:
- Smalls' stepfather is a Yankees fan, while Denis Leary, who plays him, is a long-time Red Sox fan and despises the Yankees.
- Smalls is a complete novice to baseball while Tom Guiry had played Little League for years before the film.
- Playing Against Type: His acerbic stand-up aside, Leary is also known for playing morally ambiguous anti-heroes in most of his film roles. Here, he plays a calm (if slightly awkward) family man.
- Real-Life Relative: The actor who played the elder Benny is Pablo Vitar, brother of Mike Vitar, who played the young Benny.
- Role Reprisal: Chauncey Leopardi returns as Squints for the third movie.
- What Could Have Been:
- David Mickey Evans wanted to have more sequels for the movie, each taking place in the subsequent decade (one in the '80s, one in the '90s, and so on).
- According to Patrick Renna, the trash talk scene was originally scripted to have Benny go against Phillips. However, Evans eventually decided that it would be out of character for him to engage in Volleying Insults so they switched it to Ham.
Trivia / The Sandlot