- Actor Allusion: When Thomas (played by Dylan O'Brien) is carving his name into the wall, you can see the names Scott & Aiden on there.
- Actor-Shared Background: Dylan O'Brien is a naturally fast runner, just like Thomas.
- Creator Cameo: James Dashner, author of the book, has a cameo in the end scene — sitting to the right of Ava Paige.
- Dawson Casting: Despite playing teen characters, all the actors are in their twenties.
- Enforced Method Acting:
- Self-inflicted. Thomas Brodie Sangster put a stone in his shoe to remind him to keep limping.
- The cast as a whole spent a few days doing survival training, learning how to build tools and shelter. They also camped in the glade for one night to help with a natural feeling of camaraderie.
- Chuck's death was the last scene filmed. The cast had all had time to bond, so their sad reactions are genuine.
- Fake American: The cast is mostly British, with only Thomas Brodie Sangster getting to keep his accent as Newt. Dylan O'Brien, Blake Cooper and Patricia Clarkson are American — while Ki Hong Lee was born in Korea but raised in America (and so has the accent naturally).
- Real-Life Relative: In the Mexican Spanish dub, Newt and Teresa are respectively voiced by real-life siblings Arturo and Carla Castañeda.
- Sleeper Hit: It's quite surprising that this was such a hit. Other YA sci-fi adaptations like The Giver, Ender's Game and The Host flopped, and Divergent was the only one to succeed. The Maze Runner made over $348 million worldwide, on a $34 million budget.
- What Could Have Been:
- Catherine Hardwicke was originally set to direct until Wes Ball came on board. Ball had been looking to direct a feature-length version of a short film he had made called Ruin. As the tone was so similar to The Maze Runner, he was asked to direct the film adaptation.
- Dylan O'Brien almost didn't get the role of Thomas. Wes Ball rejected him after seeing photos from Teen Wolf, dismissing him as a Pretty Boy. However he saw a photo of Dylan with his head shaved from another film and was persuaded to meet with him. The two frequently joke about Dylan's "MTV hair" preventing him from getting the part.
Trivia / The Maze Runner (2014)