- Approval of God: Or at least with the actors. Michael Seater and Ashley Leggat were (and still are) huge Derek/Casey shippers. They even acted out a fanfiction for a podcast back in the day.
- The Cast Showoff:
- Ashley Leggat, who plays Casey, is a professionally-trained dancer, and the show emphasized this repeatedly in later seasons. The TV-movie Vacation with Derek even made a whole subplot out of this, casting So You Think You Can Dance Canada winner Nico Archambault as her love interest.
- Leggat is a triple threat entertainer. She is also a singer, having sung a few times on the show.
- Dawson Casting
- Played straight with Ashley Leggat who was 19/20 playing a 15-year-old, and with Michael Seater who was 18 playing a 15-year-old.
- This was averted with Daniel Madger (Edwin), Jordan Todosey (Lizzie), and Ariel Waller (Marti), who were all around their characters' ages at the time of filming.
- Actually, Daniel Madger is four years older than Jordan Todosey, despite them playing characters that are around the same age.
- Fake American: Inverted. American actor Al Sapienza plays the Canadian businessman who wants to develop the lake in The Movie.
- Only So Many Canadian Actors:
- Lauren Collins as Kendra, Derek's first long-term girlfriend.
- Michael Seater, John Ralston and Shadia Simmons had all before been featured on the Canadian series Strange Days At Blake Holsey High.
- Kate Todd, who played Sally, starred in Radio Free Roscoe, another Canadian sitcom.
- John Ralston starred as Emperor Ming in the short-lived Sci Fi Channel adaptation of Flash Gordon.
- Ashley Leggatt and Shadia Simmons also appeared in Ace Lightning.
- Before Strange Days at Blake Holsey High, Michael Seater and Shadia Simmons also worked together in The Zack Files. Ashley Leggat appeared with them in one episode.
- The Other Darrin: Casey's cousin Vicki appears in one episode in the first season and another in the fourth season, and is played by two different actresses who look nothing alike.
- Playing Against Type: Compare Michael Seater's role as Derek to the ones he played in Strange Days At Blake Holsey High and The Zack Files; Derek is completely different from Lucas and Spencer.
- Romance on the Set: By most reports, Ashley Leggat and Michael Seater dated during production of the first season before deciding they were Better as Friends, so a lot of the tension between Derek and Casey was not entirely a Relationship Writing Fumble on the part of the writers. Given they're Platonic Life-Partners, they're also an example of Amicable Exes.
Trivia / Life with Derek