- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $21 million. Box office, $5,111,099.
- Creator Backlash: Bruce Bereford said about the film:I think there are a few things in it that are interesting. But, I think there are so many things that are wrong. We never liked the script... we never really caught the friendship between David and Jonathan. There weren't enough scenes between them. And David, himself I think Richard Gere was miscast. He is a wonderful actor but he is much better in contemporary pieces.
- Real-Life Relative: Playing Joab was Tim Woodward, who is the son of Edward Woodward, who played Saul.
- Star-Derailing Role: Richard Gere's performance in this film earned him a Golden Raspberry nomination; the film's box office failure led to him being passed over for a lot of roles producers would previously have fought to give him for the next five years until Internal Affairs and Pretty Woman.
- What Could Have Been: Rachel Weisz was offered a large part in this film when she was only 14, but her parents would not allow her to do it.
- Working Title: The Story of David.
Trivia / King David