- Creator's Favorite Episode: Director Chris Clough named this as his favourite story because of the nostalgia.
- Deleted Scene: The final version of the story includes only one brief scene featuring the Doctor inside the TARDIS console room. The first edit of part one, included on the 2009 DVD, includes an additional console room scene with Mel, in which it was revealed the Doctor keeps petty cash in a jar secreted beneath the console. According to the production notes commentary, the original script called for another console room scene with Burton and Ray, but this was cut to avoid bringing the two actors to London to film the scene.
- Stunt Casting: British comedian Ken Dodd as the Tollmaster. The director recalled:Was Ken Dodd controversial? It worked it was my idea. It's a small part, but it's a fun cameo. I liked the idea of this build-up the Doctor and Mel arriving at a Toll port that only has its landing light on, and you then get the tension of 'What's going on there?' and instead of something nasty, you get Doddy coming out with his razzer going, "Hello, welcome! Surprise, surprise! You've won a prize!"
- What Could Have Been:
- In the original script, the setting was 1957 and revealed that the Americans had launched a satellite in advance of the Russian Sputnik, only to have it knocked out of orbit by the Nostalgia Tours spacebus. When Andrew Cartmel realised that the story was running overlength, it was decided to cut this element from the storyline, along with additional background on the Bannermen (revealing that they had polluted their own planet to the point that it was rendered uninhabitable).
- A fairly well-known example within Doctor Who. Ray was almost the Doctor's newest travelling companion, but they decided to keep on Ace (from the next story) instead. Plus, Sophie Aldred auditioned for the role.
- Peter Vaughan and David Warner were considered for Gavrok.
- Bob Monkhouse was originally offered the role of the Tollmaster, but was unavailable.
- Working Title: The Flight of the Chimeron.
Trivia / Doctor Who S24 E3 "Delta and the Bannermen"