- I Knew It!: A lot of things that ended up happening in the Year 3 comic, were all things the fandom believed it would happen.
- Line to God: The ask feature on Tumblr, which is used both for author queries and for interactions with the characters. The Twitter account, however, is not an example of this, as that's 100% in-character as Bitty (or whoever took Bitty's phone).
- Life Imitates Art:
- Las Vegas having an NHL team was depicted in the comic a few years before they got one in real life.
- Seattle, which will get an NHL team in 2021, also has one in the strip.
- Schedule Slip: Bitty's Twitter is maintained in real time, but the comics and extras take much longer to create and post. The end result is that the comics are usually several months behind in the timeline, and in August 2015 the Twitter had to be set to private in order to prevent spoilers, as Bitty was starting his junior year and the comics were only partway through his sophomore year.
- Self-Deprecation: Holster apparently hates all the Ivy League hockey teams, especially Yale's. Ngozi Ukazu received her bachelor's degree from Yale.
- Teasing Creator: Particularly noticeably in the explanatory text posts for each comic. Ship Tease, frustratingly vague spoilers, and silly Running Gags are all in abundance.
- The Wiki Rule: The Check Please! Wiki. Ngozi has admitted to checking it herself when she forgets information.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: The Twitter is "largely impromptu and improvised", although big plot events are planned for.
Trivia / Check, Please!