Homer uses the power of flatuence to communicate with people after getting paralyzed by a spider bite in "The Diving Bell and The Butterball," Flanders becomes a murderer for the Lord in "Dial 'D' for 'Diddly'," and Bart and Milhouse pose as the natives on an alien planet in order to steal a rare element in the (rather dated) Avatar parody, "In the Na'vi."
- Affectionate Parody: The Three Shorts are parodies to Spider-Man and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Dexter and Avatar. Abe Simpson thought there would be one of Black Swan.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: After having his mind inserted into an Avatar, Bart wished for five minutes with his enemies. They then showed up as Avatars as well.
- Big "NO!": Homer when he realized his candy bag contained vegetables instead of candies.
- Broken Pedestal: Flanders learns that God takes orders from the Devil and the Devil is sleeping with his deceased wife, Maude.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Homer tries to make Flanders kill a guy at the ice cream parlor that gave him an ice cream cone that had a little air in it.
- Epic Fail: While trying to chew through his arm to get to the bag of candy, Homer somehow manages to sever both the wrong arm and one of his legs.
- Fanservice: While he's paralyzed, Homer has a clear view of Marge's breasts and thinking "Cleavage".
- Hypocrite: During the Avatar parody, Bart calls Milhouse a traitor for calling in the army to attack the aliens. Except that was what their job is, and Bart was being a traitor by going native with the aliens.
- Jerkass: Marge takes all of her kids' hard-earned Halloween candy and replaces it with dental supplies. True it was going to be donated to charity, but she didn't even leave them a single piece. None of her children appreciate the gesture.
- Loophole Abuse: Jimbo, Kearney, and Dolph all admit they can't beat up Bart in his Avatar form as the bodies cost several million dollars. So they beat up his human body instead.
- Piranha Problem: The alien birds attack by dropping eggs from their pouches, which hatch into schools of piranha.
- Skyward Scream: Homer shouts this upon realizing his candy was replaced with vegetables.
- Tempting Fate: After Flanders asked how things could be worse, he discovers that his late wife is sleeping with the devil.