The Simpsons find a bunch of keys and try to find a use for all of them, one of which leads to the mystery behind a secret, technologically-advanced classroom at Springfield Elementary.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: Lisa found a three-door set. Their labels read: "Band Books", "Banned Books" and "Banned Band Books".
- Brick Joke: When Marge first discovers the farting toy train, she says she hopes it wasn't going to be an anniversary present. Near the end of the episode, when the toy breaks, Homer gets upset, saying that now he has to buy Marge a new anniversary present.
- Broken Record: Nelson when he's teasing Lisa for always following the rules. "Have a nice day, just like yesterday...and the day before that...and the day before that...and the day before that..." He even continues over the intercom while giving the morning announcements.
- Can't Get in Trouble for Nuthin': Bart tries to use some keys to pull epic pranks, but each time he ends up helping people.
- Cassandra Truth: Rodd and Todd not believing their father when he told them the farting noise wasn't his.
- Crazy-Prepared: Apparently Skinner did plan for Homer buying cakes but not having Maggie locked in the car which Chalmers scorn that he should have expected that too.
- Did I Say That Out Loud: When Otto learned those dead kids were actually dummies, he commented that he killed that hobo for nothing.
- It Was Here, I Swear!: When Ned's sons show up to ask if the farting noise came from him, the toy train that made the noise had already left.
- Faking the Dead: To cover up the fake classroom, Skinner and Chalmers arranged a bus accident to explain what happened to the advanced students. The bus was actually full of dummies, but Otto was not informed of that and had been wracked by guilt ever since.
- Noodle Incident: Invoked when all of the keys are found, as Homer remarks that some of the stories are quite fascinating, but we never learn what they are.
- Skinny Dipping: Homer and Duffman went au naturel for a swim, which was how the former got the keys to the Duff Brewery.