Ed Truck, the manager who hired Michael (and Creed) has passed away and Michael is having a hard time dealing with it. Jim tries to find the chips that Karen is craving.
Air date: October 12, 2006
- Brick Joke: A blink-and-you'll-miss-it example: When Michael complains about Dwight trying to bury the dead bird in a soda can, Dwight tells the camera that his grandfather was "reburied" in an old oil drum. In the second season finale, Dwight told Jim that he was wearing the tuxedo his grandfather was buried in.
- Hidden Depths: Karen speaks fluent French.
- Losing Your Head: Ed Truck was decapitated. However, it's Creed who reveals this news, so it may or may not be true.
- Meaningful Funeral: A bird dies outside the office building, and Michael insists on holding a funeral for it. Pam's eulogy makes up for everyone not caring that Michael is in mourning.
- Overly Long Gag: Michael's "going down stairs" joke in the cold open. Made more so when Pam starts screwing with him.
- Shout-Out: When Michael asks for grief stories, the staff give him stories that are movie plots. He doesn't catch on to Million Dollar Baby but when Kevin tries Weekend at Bernie's, the jig is up. There are also two Shout-Out moments to The Lion King. Also to Charlie Brown.