When he finds out that Kripke manages the schedules for an open science grid computer, Sheldon attempts to make friends with him.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Sheldon bonds with a little girl over Curious George.
- Expospeak Gag:Kripke: You all wight there, Cooper?
Sheldon: Not really. I feel somewhat like an inverse tangent function at the approach to the asymptote.
Kripke: Are you saying you're stuck?
Sheldon: What part of "inverse tangent function approaching an asymptote" do you not understand?
- Fainting: Sheldon while rock climbing with Kripke. He's left hanging unconscious on the harness.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Sheldon tries to scientifically analyze why people hang out with him. Also Kripke.
- Formula for the Unformulable: The titular friendship algorithm, shown as a flowchart. Howard has to add a loop counter when following the chart puts Sheldon into a loop.
- Measuring the Marigolds: Sheldon coming up with an algorithm for making friends.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: The reason Sheldon can't make friends with the girl from the bookstore.Leonard: [as he escorts Sheldon out] Don't look up. They have cameras.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: After all the trouble Sheldon goes through to befriend Kripke for the purpose of getting to use the new computer, it turns out Kripke can't control the schedule.