Penny is behind on her bills and hiding from the landlord. Sheldon loans her money.
- Broke Episode: Penny is a little short on cash, mainly because her ex-boyfriend Kurt owed her $1,800 for speeding and peeing on a cop car.
- Captain Obvious:Sheldon: You know, it occurs to me you could solve all your problems by obtaining more money.
Penny: [Blank Stare and then...] Yes, it occurs to me too.
- Call-Back: As in the pilot, Leonard proposes confronting Kurt. Sheldon reminds him that the last time they did he took off their pants.
- Continuity Nod: Penny's check engine light has been on for a while, which Sheldon pointed out in an earlier episode. Now her car has broken down.
- Face Doodling: When Leonard confronts Kurt about the money he owes Penny, Kurt responds by writing an I.O.U. on his face.
- The Ghost: The landlord of the building, who Penny suspects is stalking her for being late on rent.
- Human Pet: Sheldon claims he'd like to be this to super-intelligent aliens because he likes getting his belly scratched.
- Never Lend to a Friend: Subverted. Unlike other examples of the trope, it's Penny who becomes anxious about repaying Sheldon.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Because Sheldon lent her money, Penny becomes even more ashamed of her financial situation and lashes out at Sheldon for offering her more money after she already took out a considerable loan from him. Penny being the paranoid egotist she is mistakes Sheldon for mocking her for her poor financial state by offering her money.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Sheldon tries to help out Penny with her financial woes. Normally, Sheldon's the one who tries to get rid of Penny for eating his and Leonard's food and using his Wi-Fi.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Penny after being granted thousands of dollars by Sheldon doesn't exactly become so thankful to him, instead she's uneasy and quite ashamed to humiliated of having to borrow money from Sheldon. She even angrily lashes out at Sheldon for having lent her money and starts angrily ranting at him for trying to offer her even more when Sheldon feels that her lack of feeling at ease.