Dan tries several times to ask Rebecca out, even getting Jeremy to put in a good word for him (because Casey won't). Dana, meanwhile, is going snorkeling with Gordon and is freaked out because she's scared of fish.
This episode contains examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: When Dana gets a call from Gordon during the rundown meeting, and tells her they're cancelling the snorkeling trip, she assumes he's calling to break up with her. Turns out, he suggests they go skiing instead, which she's happy to do.
- Call-Back: Dan manages to guilt Jeremy into helping him with Rebecca by reminding Jeremy of how he helped with Natalie.
- Continuity Nod: This is to remind everybody Natalie is still a Shipper on Deck when it comes to Casey and Dana.
- Also, Dana again brings up Gordon's fear that Dana is Married to the Job.
- Epic Fail / That Came Out Wrong: Well, what would you call it when a sports anchor says about a track star, "The sophomore sensation accredits her agility and quick first step to her father, who used to take her to a neighborhood park all covered with cheese"?Casey: Dana? We got all kinds of sentence construction here. I think he's going to have to explain that it's the park that's covered with cheese, and not the father.Dan: This is an unforgiving room.Natalie: Plus, it's a little hard to figure how running through cheese helped the kid with her agility and quick first step.Dan: Thank you, everyone!
- I Need to Iron My Dog: Isaac comes into Casey's office as he and Natalie are discussing Dana and Gordon:Natalie: Isaac. Don't you think, don't you know that Dana isn't happy with Gordon, and that Gordon is about to break up with Dana and Dana only thinks she cares?Isaac: You know what? I'm gonna step out now and it'll be like I never came in. (leaves)
- Insistent Terminology: Dan is not a sportscaster, he is a sports "anchor".
- Never Heard That One Before: When Rebecca makes fun of Dan's "park full of cheese" snafu, he says, "You know what? I've actually heard them all."
- Running Gag: Chris and Will arguing about something trivial.Dana: Would it be possible to have one 10:00 meeting that doesn't degenerate into dork recess? The noon meeting, the 6:00, the 8:00, these are fine. And then the 10:00 rolls around and you all start to unravel. Just once I'd like that not to happen!
- Sarcasm Mode: Casey when he's asking for the film on Albert Belle.
Dan: I just think if she saw me on the show, she would like me. I'm my best on the show. It's what I want people to see. I put all day into one hour and I'm proud of it, but she won't watch the show.Casey: I'm really troubled by that.
- Waxing Lyrical: After Rebecca finally agrees to go out with him, Dan sings "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah."