Japanese Title: Final Battle! Enter Kairyu!!
Original Airdate: September 9th, 1999
US Airdate: September 23rd, 2000
At the end of part one of Ash's battle with Drake, Lapras' Ice Beam and Gengar's Nightshade had collided and exploded. When the smoke clears, Lapras and Gengar are both out cold, forcing an intermission as Drake now only has three Pokémon to Ash's five. After the battlefield is changed to a sandy desert field, Ash continues to wipe the floor with Drake's Pokemon. But then Drake sends in Dragonite, his final Pokémon and the reason for his solid winning streak. Will Ash succeed over the legendary Dragonite and become a champion of the Orange League?
- Curbstomp Battle:
- Dragonite mowed down three of Ash's Pokemon. It easily defeated Team Rocket when they tried to come for Pikachu.
- Deus Exit Machina: Lapras is taken out of the fight before the battle with Dragonite. As the only Mon with a type advantage Dragonite wouldn't have been that close, though the lack of water on the second battlefield would have posed a problem for it anyway.
- Double Knockout: At the start of the episode, it is revealed that the round between Lapras and Gengar ended in a draw, for the first time in the series.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: A season of growth and battles comes to a close with Ash winning the Orange League.
- Foe-Tossing Charge: Tauros powers his way through Venusaur's attacks, digs into the sand, and hurls it into the air. Badass.
- Mythology Gag: Since Ash has yet to win an actual tournament (the Orange League is more Run the Gauntlet) this is where the traditional final sequence of a Pokémon game (namely, the Champion getting into a picture with his team after getting registered in the Hall of Fame) is emulated.
- Shout-Out: The English title is a homage to Enter the Dragon.
- Stealth Pun: The Winner's Trophy is shaped like a Master Ball.
- The Worf Effect: Bulbasaur is usually one of Ash's more reliable Pokemon. However, despite a type advantage, it quickly loses to Drake's more experienced Electabuzz. Bulbasaur ends up being the only member of Ash's team not to give a knockout blow to one of Drake's party members (though Lapras was only able to take out Gengar in a draw).
- Worf Had the Flu: Ash has used every Pokemon in his team by the time Dragonite comes out, so every fight it gets more worn out so by the time Pikachu steps up the tables have turned.