"Wonders of the Deep" is the eighth season 3 short of the new Mickey Mouse (2013) series created by Paul Rudish for the Disney Channel and Disney.com. It's the 45th to air on the Disney Channel and put up on Disney.com.
In this second double-length episode, Mickey, Donald and Goofy go on a submarine expedition with Professor Ludwig von Drake. Mickey, initially disappointed to barely see just a guppy, goads von Drake to take them deeper and deeper to search for a giant squid. However, von Drake calculates his doubts and Mickey, in a depressed state, accidentaly activates a lever that sees the Professor thrown out of an airlock and eaten by a giant clam. In shock, Mickey and Donald go out to save von Drake while leaving Goofy aboard.
- Brick Joke: The missiles and radar screen, which Goofy mistook for "lights" and a broken clock, are later used to defeat the Kraken.
- The Cameo:
- Pinocchio and Geppetto as hitchhikers in the Kraken, only now Pinocchio has an Italian accent. They get left behind.
- Also, Mickey and Donald run into Minnie and Daisy as mermaids... except it's a hallucination from oxygen deprivation thanks to Goofy, and they've really found the Kraken.
- Clam Trap: Professor Von Drake is swallowed by a giant clam and Mickey and Donald try to save him.
- Extra-Long Episode: The second of four seven minute episodes in the series so far.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When Mickey and Donald are about to be eaten, we get a close shot of the squid's jagged beak. Which suspiciously looks like a certain female body part...
- Giant Squid: Requisite for an undersea adventure, it even attacks the submarine much like a certain film.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: When Mickey cries and blames himself for Ludwig Von Drake's fate, Donald consoles him only to agree that it is his fault.
- Left the Background Music On: Goofy is revealed to be playing the Ominous Pipe Organ when Mickey mentions the Kraken.
- Ominous Pipe Organ: When Mickey first mentions the Kraken, "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" plays... and then it turns out that Goofy is playing it on a pipe organ.
- Overly Long Gag: von Drake's habit of typing out each and every zero and repeating what he typed.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: After they rescue Ludwig, the Professor determines after his calculations that there is a chance they could find a Kraken after all. Goofy eagerly wants to see a Kraken, but Mickey and Donald don't want to see the Kraken again because it tried to eat them, so they promptly hop into the giant oyster Ludwig was pried from earlier and shoot themselves back into the sea.
- Shout-Out: Several to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, including:
- The submarine itself being called the "Ducktilus". Its design is also a shoutout to the Submarine Voyage attraction at Disneyland.
- The wheelhouse window is shaped similarly to the big saloon window from the film's Nautilus.
- The navigation charts are derived from Harper Goff's original designs.
- The Kraken has a beak much like the monster from the Kirk Douglas/Peter Lorre film.
- Captain Nemo's pipe organ is clearly seen played by Goofy at one point.
- Standard Snippet: Goofy plays the opening bars to Bach's "Toccata and Fugue" on the submarine's pipe organ.
- Stock Sound Effect: The Giant Squid's screeches are a clipped version of the Godzilla roar.
- Womb Level: Inside the Giant Squid.