Synopsis:With Groot in danger, the other Guardians follow the branches he left for them to the exit.
I Melt With You: Star-Lord appears in a claymation dimension where he must work to turn the Milano around before it heads into the Sun. Though his arm detaches and Star-Lord duels with it so that he can get it reattached before he is melted by the Sun.
Getting in Toon: Rocket Raccoon ends up in a retro black and white cartoon dimension where an alien woman calls Ronan the Exterminator to get rid of him. Drax catches up with Rocket as they work to keep Ronan from getting their branches of Groot.
Tropes featured in the episode:
I Melt With You:
- An Arm and a Leg: Star-Lords right arm comes off, and he spends much of the short trying to get it back.
- I'm Melting!: Star-Lord deliberately melts himself so he can escape through the air vent.
- Stop Motion: And Star-Lord is very much aware of it.
Getting in Toon:
- All Animals Are Dogs: The Groot branches act like dogs, especially when they are near each othe4 and sniffing each other.
- Alternate Tooniverse: Specifically the early shorts of the 1920s.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: The shirt starts with Rocket in the dark, as he talks with Gamora over the comms, and all we can see are his eyes.
- Hammerspace: Lampshaded by Rocket after he produces a big frying pan to knock out Roman the Exterminator:Rocket: I dont even want to know where that came from.
- Hard Head: How Rocket discovers he has found Drax. No-one else he knows has a head that hard!
- Idea Bulb: Although, Rocket just throws it away once he gets an idea.
- Impact Silhouette
- Shadow of Impending Doom: Ronan, then Drax, for Rocket.
- Toon Physics: And how! Rocket quickly adapts to being able to use this..... Drax, not so quickly. Rocket uses it to defeat Ronan by walking off a cliff, then telling Ronan NOT to look down - naturally he does, so falls, whereas Rocket stays hanging in mid-air.
- White Gloves: Rocket is wearing them.