Needless to say, she is the most well-known artist of her day and even now. She was consecutively receiving no. 1 hits with the songs she sang. Twenty-four consecutive no. 1 hits, to be specific. With that in her arsenal, it's no surprise that she'd became famous not only in Japan anymore. Ask any of the adults who grew up in the 80s about Japanese Pop music and they'll most likely bring her name up, whether they were fans of her or not.
What with her extensive, ongoing career along with personal life and others, do proceed to Wikipedia here for more information. For the discography as well. A decades worth of work is not easy to go by, when listing them all.
Provides examples of:
- Award-Bait Song: Glass no Ringo and Kitto... mata aeru.
- Cute Little Fangs: It's there but not distracting or as extreme as the "yaeba". She's Japanese after all.
- '80s Hair: That poofy, flippy, mushroom-shaped, hair that all girls wore back then? No surprise she had it also and often.
- Girl Next Door: Her famous persona at the time.
- Idol Singer: Maybe at the start. But she's far from having outlived how much she is beloved by everyone and became successful even in the midst of having gotten married and having a child, (who is also a singer, known as SAYAKA). In fact, she's one of the most successful examples of an idol singer who was able to keep herself together.
- Let's Duet: With Donnie Wahlberg. The song itself, "The Right Combination", was kind of a hit.
- Long Runner: She started way back in 1980 and is still a star.
- Silly Love Songs
- Teen Idol: She managed to transition to an equally successful artist in her adult years, though.