- "Oh, we want the funk
Give up the funk
Oh, we need the funk
Gotta have that funk"Parliament, "Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)"
Mothership Connection is Parliament's fourth album, released in 1975.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
- "P. Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)" (7:41)
- "Mothership Connection (Star Child)" (6:13)
- "Unfunky UFO" (4:23)
- "Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication" (5:03)
- "Handcuffs" (4:02)
- "Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)" (5:46)
- "Night of the Thumposaurus Peoples" (5:10)
2003 CD remaster bonus track
- "Star Child (Mothership Connection)" (3:08)
"Oh, we want the tropes, give up the tropes, oh we need the tropes, gotta have those tropes":
- Afrofuturism: Acknowledged by George Clinton himself, since he was a big Star Trek fan and had the idea of having black people on a spaceship.
- The Bermuda Triangle: Mentioned in "Mothership Connection"
- Crunchtastic: "Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication"
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: The opening words:"Good evening, do not attempt to adjust your radio, there is nothing wrong."
- Eenie, Meenie, Miny Moai: Easter Island is mentioned in "Mothership Connection".
- Epic Rocking: "P. Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)" runs 7:41, and the shortest song, "Handcuffs," runs 4:02.
- Flying Saucer: "Unfunky UFO"
- Fun with Acronyms: The radio station in "P. Funk" is called WEFUNK.
- Funk: One of the definitive examples.
- The Mothership: It's right there in the title.
"Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the Mothership"
- From the title track:
- Obligatory Bondage Song: "Handcuffs," which was officially a Parody of hyper-macho R&B.
- Parabombing: "P. Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)," "Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)"
- Pyramid Power: From "Mothership Connection":"We have come to claim the pyramids"
- Record Producer: George Clinton, of course.
- Singer Namedrop: "P. Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)"
- Take That!: From "P. Funk":"Then I was down south and I heard funk with some main ingredients
Like Doobie Brothers, Blue Magic, David Bowie
It was cool
But can you imagine Doobiein' your funk? Ho!"