Insomnium is a Finnish Melodic Death Metal which formed in 1997. They have garnered much acclaim over the course of their active time and have become one of the more well recognized faces of modern melodeath. They are known for their characterized melodic death metal sound that blends doom and progressive metal to create dark, melancholic, and atmospheric songs, with themes and lyrics that focus on sorrow, darkness, and nature.
- Niilo Sevänen - harsh vocals, bass (1997 - present)
- Ville Friman - guitars, clean vocals (1997 - present)
- Markus Hirvonen - drums (1997 - present)
- Markus Vanhala - guitars (2011 - present)
- Jani Liimatainen - guitars (2019 - present)
- Tapani Pesonen − drums, guitars (1997−1998)
- Timo Partanen − guitars (1998−2001)
- Ville Vänni − guitars (2001−2011)
- In the Halls of Awaiting (2002)
- Since the Day it All Came Down (2004)
- Above the Weeping World (2006)
- Across the Dark (2009)
- One for Sorrow (2011)
- Shadows of the Dying Sun (2014)
- Winter's Gate (2016)
- Heart Like a Grave (2019)
The band contains examples of the following tropes:
- Book-Ends: The opening track of Above the Weeping World, The Gale, begins with the sound of rain. The closing track In the Groves of Death ends with the same sound of rain.
- Concept Album: Winter's Gate is a concept album consisting of one 40 minute long song. The story follows a group of Vikings who set off on a journey to an island west of Ireland in search of treasure.
- Doom Metal: While not outright melodic doom/death in the vein of fellow countrymen Swallow The Sun, they definitely flirt with doom-y tendencies.
- Epic Rocking: More than half of their songs are over five or six minutes long with "Winter's Gate" (40:00), "In the Halls of Awaiting" (10:55), "In the Groves of Death" (10:08), "Lay of the Autumn" (9:08), and Disengagement (8:39) being among their longest.
- Five-Man Band:
- Instrumentals: "Nocturne", "Resonance", and "Decoherence".
- Lead Bassist: Niilo Sevanen, the band's harsh vocalist, is a type B.
- Melodic Death Metal
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Most of their songs are an 8 and occasionally a 9, sometimes dipping into the lower categories with their softer songs.
- One Steve Limit: Averted twice in a row. In their original line-up, both of the guitarists were named Ville. After Ville Vänni left, his replacement was named Markus Vanhala, which is also the name of their long-time drummer Markus Hirvonen.
- Progressive Metal/Progressive Death Metal: The band have drawn much influence from the genres over their career.
- Soprano and Gravel: Guitarist Ville Friman often sings and layers his clean vocals alongside Niilo's harsh ones.
- Uncommon Time: "Mortal Share" is, apart from the bridge section, played in 7/8 time.