Heilung ("Healing" in German) are a band with members from Germany, Denmark and Norway, who describe their music as "amplified history."
Kai Uwe Faust (vocals, Germany)
Maria Franz (vocals, Norway)
Christopher Juul (producer, Denmark)
Lifa (2017, live album)
Tropes displayed by this band
- Anachronism Stew: Their sound mixes pre-industrial instruments with subtle electronic effects. For example, the start of this video, where Christopher blows down a buffalo horn, then loops it.
- Bilingual Bonus:
- They have recorded songs in Old Norse, Gothic, Old High German, Icelandic and Anglo-Saxon.
- The CD of Futha has its title and track list written in runes instead of the more common Latin alphabet.
- Blackface: Averted. Kai has a black face in the official video for "Norupo," but he is clearly not parodying a black person.
- Epic Rocking: In the interest of brevity, we will only list songs over ten minutes.
- "Othan" 10:18
- "Galgaldr" 10:21
- "In Maidjan" 12:33
- "Afhomon" 13:41
- "Hamrer Hippyer" 14:16
- Folk Metal: Their music is not metallic, but Vikings are intrinsically Metal, and the Metal press seems to like them.
- Hell Is That Noise: Along with a healthy dose of Careful with That Axe, Kai and Christopher produce some utterly terrifying, hair-raising screams on several tracks.
- Horny Vikings: They use a lot of Nordic imagery. Singer Maria Franz is Norwegian, and has a stage outfit with antlers.
- Loudness War: Averted: The YouTube description for "Anoana," the first single from Drif, has this to say about the album:Drif has been mastered significantly lower in volume than most modern releases to achieve a greater dynamic range, deeper lowend, transparent transients and a wider stereo image. If you want it louder, turn up the volume on a proper sound carrier.
- Meaningful Name: From their YouTube page:"Heilung means healing in German and describes the core of the sound. It is supposed to leave the listener eased and relaxed after a sometimes turbulent musical journey."
- The official video for "Krigsgaldr" features obviously male Stone Age stick men indulging in Rape, Pillage, and Burn.
- The CD booklet for Futha contains Celtic knotwork style illustrations. Some of them are rather sexual.
- Shown Their Work: A bit of digging online will find the historical texts that they have used for lyrics.
- Soprano and Gravel: With two grades of gravel! Maria provides clean female vocals, Kai does harsh male vocals and throat singing.