Silverfish is the story of a young pacifist kidnapped to start a war, only to end up rescued by the other side.
Provides Examples Of:
- A Father to His Men: Mateo is protective of his crew and compassionate toward Julian
- Because You Were Nice to Me : Julian may not have much of an opinion on the greater conflict, but he makes it clear his loyalty lies with Captain Mateo. Mateo returns the sentiment by being willing to cross several lines to protect Julian.
- Becoming the Mask : Played with. Julian becomes loyal to Palindor and to the crew, and his feelings for Kyle become complicated, but he never stops thinking of himself as Julian rather than Jakob.
- Defector from Decadence : Julian came from a life of luxury, and could have been quite indolent had he chosen.
- Easily Forgiven : Mateo is quick to forgive Julian upon learning Julian was spying
- Naval Blockade : IN SPACE!. The Onager got stuck on the other side of the blockade and can't get help or resources, thus they couldn't afford to let the only doctor they had leave.
- Mildly Military : Being on the other side of the blockade makes it difficult to keep to military standards, and necessitates some allowances. Julian ended up the chief medical officer due to being the only medical officer the Onager had.
- Odd Friendship : Julian and Anson almost from the beginning. Julian is an avowed pacifist, and Anson is a career soldier on the opposite side.
- Pretext for War : Julian's abduction was intended to be this, though when it failed to work another incident was arranged
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits : Due to being outside the barricade and picking up other crews, the Onager has shades of this.
- Rapeas Drama : Julian's mistreatment at the hands of the crew of the Silverfish involves a lot of sexual abuse.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil : Once folks learn of Kyle's involvement with the crew of the Silverfish absolutely nobody is willing to forgive him.
- Reasonable Authority Figure : Admiral Vendral takes matters very well and treats the enemy forces under his command with the same care and respect as he does his own men.
- Refuge in Audacity : Julian gets by guards by simply acting like a high-strung noble and walking right past
- Secret Identity : Julian Vendral as Jakob Narel.
- Shipper on Deck : Jerin makes no secret of the fact he approves of Anson and Julian
- Token Evil Teammate : Kyle, though it takes some time before most of the crew learn he is evil