A 2015 sci-fi horror book from G D Penman. It revolves around secret psychics, missing girls and a ghost town full of secrets. From Amazon:
"Anthony is not having a good week. Broken out of the secret base in the middle of Nevada where the government hides its psychics by an old mad Russian and dragged across America to look for a missing girl he has found himself in a New England ghost-town. Here in Drywell he has to contend with monsters, madness and the weight of all of the town's dirty little secrets. Life as a lab rat doesn't seem so bad.
This sci-fi/horror novella was one of the early works from acclaimed speculative fiction writer G D Penman's career."
Tropes associated with this work:
- Barred from the Afterlife: No wonder the psychics under Drywell are angry.
- Belly Mouth: The Cyclops has elements of this.
- Cosmic Horror Story: And what a downer.
- Death by Sex: Because of their touch based powers most of the psychics have a lot of issues about sex.
- Evil Is Visceral: Yep, that horse covered in vaginas is probably not good news.
- Ghost Town: Drywell is not a thriving tourist attractor.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: That would be Vincent's entire M.O.
- Humanoid Abomination: The Gestalt's endgame.
- Lamprey Mouth: Cyclops again.
- Occult Detective: That would be Anthony.
- Ominous Fog: In places.
- Psychic Powers: That would be Anthony, His mother, her gestalt, his brother.... nearly everyone really.
- Psychological Torment Zone: Isn't it funny how every single monster in the town has something to do with the characters deep rooted psychological problems.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Jura Codex seems like it will be this but it is later subverted
- Town with a Dark Secret: Drywell has a nasty skeleton in its closet.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: This seems to be the inevitable result of seeing the future or past too much.