It Devours! is the second Welcome to Night Vale novel, written by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor.
Something is creating giant sinkholes around Night Vale, destroying buildings and swallowing up people. Resident scientest Carlos assigns one of his assistants, Nilanjana Sikdar, to investigate the cause of sinkholes. Nilanjana's investigations leads to the Joyous Congregation of the Smiling God and a person known only as the Wordsmith, whose church writings parallel what is happening in town.
To learn more about the Congregation, Nilanjana enlists the aid of Darryl Ramirez, a missionary who is happy to teach someone about the wonders of the Smiling God. But as Nilanjana learns more about the Smiling God she comes up against the local government trying to impede her research, the Joyous Congregation trying to summon the Smiling God to Night Vale, and the question of how much she can trust her new friend Darryl.
This book provides examples of the following tropes:
- Actually, I Am Him: Darryl is the Wordsmith Nilanjana has been looking for, though he wasn't trying to hide it, he just hadn't been told.
- Continuity Nod: Jackie Fierro, Diane Crayton, and Josh Crayton all show up at the same time at Josh's gym when it's swallowed by a sinkhole.
- Creepy Centipedes: The Smiling God the church is trying to summon turns out to be merely a giant centipede from the Otherworld.
- Magic Versus Science: Nilanjana and Darryl's friends get into an argument over the nature of the world in Carlos' lab.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Implied to be the case with the Smiling God, with all the teeth symbolism floating around the Congregation.
- Stepford Smiler: The Joyous Congregation's doctrine as usual. Best shown in Darryl, who has been taught to respond to everything with a huge, unsettling smile.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: How time works in the Desert Otherworld