- On tour in Amsterdam in 1979, Ian Curtis met one of his heroes, William S. Burroughs, who was reading from his latest book. Curtis tried to convince Burroughs to give him a free copy. According to Peter Hook, Burroughs replied, "Fuck off, kid!"
- Supposedly, how did Joy Division get on Factory Records? Ian sent a note to Tony Wilson with the words "Joy Division, you cunt".
- After the band's cover of the Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray" on Still, Ian Curtis jokes that the audience should hear their version of "Louie, Louie". Hell, just the fact that a recording exists of gloomy, tormented Ian Curtis singing "Sister Ray" (a seventeen-minute ditty about drag queens, drug dealers and a police shoot-out, replete with lines like "She's busy sucking on my ding-dong") in his deadpan baritone is extremely funny.
- Someone once posted on the band's Reddit a photo of Ian at his old work place of a party he attended. Where he was smiling. Ian Curtis smiling. His bandmates remember him having a wicked sense of humor, despite his dour reputation.
- The band fired early drummer Steve Brotherdale by having him get out of their van to investigate a suspected flat tire, then driving off.
Funny / Joy Division