- Amnesia: Memories: The heroine has one for Spade World. Her father was a notorious cheater and playboy, often leaving her alone at home to go on dates with women, remarrying, divorcing, and then heading off to the next woman. This has caused her to hate playboy types, and why she disliked Ikki so much in the beginning. She only really warms up to Ikki upon realizing that he isn't as much of a playboy as he initially appears.
- Played with in Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel. When Sakura tells Rin how she was abused by the males of the Matou household, as well as other crap she had to go through, Rin agrees that it's perfectly understandable that she would become a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds, but being the Tsundere that she is, Rin has already resolved to kill Sakura and shows her absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. Unfortunately, that is NOT what Sakura needs to hear from her older sister and (assuming the player chooses NOT to kill Saber Alter), her response is essentially "You don't care how I suffered, eh? Well, why don't you experience it through my eyes, see how you like it!" and when you get the bad end, you can hear Rin apologizing over and over. However, if Shirou did kill Saber Alter (and thus, keep her from showing up to grab Rin), Rin will realize at the last second that she can't bring herself to kill her younger sister.
- One of her abusers, Shinji, wasn't free from this either, constantly demeaned and told he was absolutely worthless by his grandfather, and it reached a breaking point when Sakura was chosen as the family heir over him. At which point he became just as bad as Zouken in regards to his sister. However, his Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse for his repeated abuse and rape of Sakura at Zouken's behest earns him a painful death at her hands.
- Rokushiki and Shinji get one in Kara no Shoujo. The former lost his lover to a prolonged illness and then had to perform an abortion on a prostitute, which pushed him over the edge. Before that he was a really nice guy and you can still see traces of that persona. The latter was beaten by his mother until she ended up mutilating her face, after which she raped him. The terrified Shinji pushed her off of him and she died via impalement. Then his father went crazy, cut up his lover and used use her as a model for his masterpiece, Kara no Shoujo. He might still have been okay if the first guy didn't push him over the edge.
- Franziska von Karma of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, to some extent. Her drive to defeat Phoenix Wright stems from a desire to outperform her adopted brother Edgeworth, who (at least in her view) her father devoted more time to. She seems to conveniently ignore the fact that her father focused on him because he was trying to mold Edgeworth into a ruthless, coldhearted prosecutor as a convoluted revenge against Edgeworth's father. She does cool down slightly by the end of Justice For All, but the arrogant streak is there to stay.
- Edgeworth himself suffers from this: the death of his father and his upbringing by von Karma twist him so far that, even after he turns himself around and becomes someone he can live with, he can't go back to what he used to be. At least he has enough defense attorney opportunities thrown his way to show that he could follow in Gregory Edgeworth's footsteps if he wanted — and be good at it too. He remains a prosecutor by his own choice (and by Dual Destinies, an Internal Reformist).
- Umineko: When They Cry: 'My childhood was a painful and traumatic experience, so I'll be DAMNED if my child is going to get away with whining about a rose!' Rosa Ushiromiya, people.
- In Animamundi Dark Alchemist, Mephistopheles asked Dr. Glening why he was so insistent on wanting a a deal with him (note that this is the kind of guy that even the fucking devil didn't want to put up with). The man went on to explain he was seeking revenge when his magic-based homeland was invaded, and he was forced to eat his own parents' corpses in order to survive. The devil just remarked that his persistence is remarkable, but he's still pathetic. The Player still wouldn't feel sympathetic towards Dr. Glening.
- In Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls, all of the Warriors of Hope had horrifically Abusive Parents (Masaru's dad was a drunkard who beat him and forced him to go out and buy alcohol and cigarettes, Jataro's mother hated the sight of his face and forced him to wear a mask, Kotoko's father basically whored out her and her mother to producers in exchange for roles and other favors, Nagisa's parents forced him to study to the point of exhaustion just to see how much pressure he could take, and Monaca was abused and neglected by her biological father and half-brother), which is why they want to kill all adults in Towa City.
- As revealed in a bonus novella, the midwife from Spirit Hunter: NG who stole the Urashima Woman's baby came from a traditional family who mistreated her due to her inability to give birth, leading to her current obsession with having a child.
Freudian Excuse /
aka: Visual Novel