The plot is simple: How different would Kakashi's character be if he was actually a transgender girl? Surprisingly, not much. The story keeps to Kakashi's character without much of a Girliness Upgrade despite the difference in gender identity.
The story also diverges from canon at multiple points. For example, Kakashi has feelings for Obito and Rin doesn't die when she does in canon.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: Kakashi is a trans girl. Several events are also heavily changed.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Obito mentions that Kakashi once caught him in his house. Kakashi refers to it as "that incident".
- Childhood Friend Romance: Kakashi falls for Obito when she's 10 and he's 12. It takes a while for them to actually become friends because Obito sees Kakashi as a rival.
- Child Soldiers: All the genin, but Kakashi in particular was already a well-experienced chunin at only six years old.
- Coming-Out Story: Kakashi spends nearly ten years in the closet before coming out to her friends in her teens.
- Death by Adaptation: Obito's parents are explicitly dead. In canon, they're Invisible Parents.
- Disabled in the Adaptation:
- Kushina survives but she's still weakened from having Kyuubi removed.
- Obito suffers from PTSD. His time in a coma also meant he had to give up his dream of becoming hokage.
- Disappeared Dad: Minato dies on the day that his son is born.
- Disney Death: Obito nearly dies on Naruto's birth day when he's almost cut in half by an enemy who tries to ambush Kushina and the others. He survives but spends time comatose.
- Dying Declaration of Love: Minato's final words are "I love you" to his newborn son.
- Family of Choice: Kakashi, Obito, Rin, Minato, and Kushina are all like family to one another. After Obito's crush on Rin dwindles, he begins seeing her more like a sister.
- Happily Adopted: Obito and Kakashi adopt a toddler named Ryu in their late twenties. It takes a while for Ryu to find his place, but he's eventually happily adopted.
- Hates Wearing Dresses: Kushina tries to buy Kakashi skirts, but Kakashi hates them. She prefers the practicality of pants.
- Incompatible Orientation: Implied with Rin and Kakashi. It's never stated that Kakashi is straight, but she has a Single-Target Sexuality for Obito. Rin gives up on her crush after Kakashi comes out, either because she realizes it's unlikely they'll be together, she's not into girls, or both.
- Mythology Gag: Obito's Affectionate Nickname is "Tobi", which is also his secret identity in canon.
- Parental Substitute: Minato was the closest thing to a father that Kakashi had after his biological father died.
- Related in the Adaptation: Kakashi views Minato as his father figure and Naruto as his younger brother.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Rin, Kushina, and the Uchiha clan all survive.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: After coming out, Kakashi and Rin become this. Rin tried to make Kakashi into a "shopping buddy" but Kakashi wasn't into it.
- Kakashi realizes at a young age that she's transgender. She only comes out to those close to her. She wears a mask due to dysphoria.
- It's mentioned that there is a "sex changing" operation that presumably completely changes someone's sex, however there's a catch: it can't be used on anyone over twenty because of how stressful it is on the body. Hormones don't seem to exist as an option either.
- What If?: What if Kakashi was a trans woman?