The Great Meta Fic is a RWBY fan fiction series by YukonWolf, based around a tournament called Ship Survivor on /r/RWBY. The second half of every year, (the exact month varies), starting in 2017, people vote to protect and/or eliminate RWBY character ships until only one remains.
As a lot of drama, campaigning, and meta role-play sprung up in the comments of these polls, YukonWolf decided to make a heavily dramatized story based on the tournament, full of war, violence, and political intrigue, with major participating Redditors (or rather their online personas) as characters. The character ships in the tournament make up the various nation states in the Meta Fic.
The first installment is based on the first Ship Survivor from 2017, and is complete. The sequel, based on Ship Survivor II from 2018, is divided into two parts, "Old Thrones" and New Gods, and is in progress.
The concept of this story inspired Meta-Fic Alt: Rising War, based on Ship Wars, a similar tournament.
The Great Meta Fic contains examples of:
- The Alliance: The Badaz League in the sequel.
- Big Bad:
- Celtic in the first story, based on Redditor /u/Celtic_Crown. Wants to overthrow the Mod Council and claim dominion over the Subreddit.
- In "Old Thrones", Inferno, based on /u/inferno167, who has a similar goal.
- Zissman and Jannis (/u/MrZissman and /u/JannisT) of the Church of Thorns in "New Gods."
- Characters Dropping Like Flies: Only 3 major characters survive the first installment. "Old Thrones" averts this, but according to the author, "New Gods" will be just as bloody.
- Corrupt Church: The Church of Emberald in the first, the Church of Thorns in the sequel.
- Darker and Edgier: While the original Ship Survivor tournaments were fun contests, the Meta Fic is full of violence, bloodlust, murder, and other dark elements.
- Dead Guy Junior: As many Redditors took part in Ship Survivor II despite their characters being killed off, similarly-named relatives of the original characters took their place in the sequel.
- Great Offscreen War: There are several mentions of the "Third Shipping War," mostly in the first installment. It's implied to be a reference to Volume 3 of RWBY. There's also a Yurist Uprising that nearly destroys the Nation of Arkos in the time skip between the first story and the second.
- HeelFace Turn: Vulpix, one of Celtic's council, although it takes help from Austin and not until the end of the first installment.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Since so many people participated in Ship Survivor.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: All named characters are based on actual people on Reddit, but heavily dramatized and with their permission.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Vulpix (/u/ChaosVulpix), a former villain from the first installment, returns as "Zealander," (A reference to the Redditor's real-life country), his only disguise being a beard. It has varying levels of success, but eventually fails entirely.
- Real-Person Fic: All named characters are based on real people's Reddit personas, with their permission.
- The Hero: Team ANGQ (Angelic) in the first story, made from the initials of Austin Rufus (/u/Autstin2050), Nitesco Gaming (/u/NitescoGaming), Gwydion (/u/Gwydion42), and Quixotic Quail (/u/quixoticquail). In the sequel, the Badaz League, consisting of many, many characters/Redditors, but led by Coronam, (/u/Celtic_Crown), Austin, and Nitesco.
- The Purge: In the first chapter of New Gods, the Church of Thorns executes everyone who refuses to accept their takeover of Inferno's movement after her death.
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: Turns a Reddit competition about shipping into a Game of Thrones-esque thriller.