Harleen Quinzel is a young psychiatrist working at Arkham Asylum. While there, she becomes the therapist of metahuman and eco-terrorist Poison Ivy. Everything begins to fall apart when Harleen finds herself attracted to not only Poison Ivy but another patient, the infamous Joker.
Green's My Favorite Color is an alternate take on Harley Quinn's origin story. In it, Harley first meets Poison Ivy at Arkham. The story is an Ivy/Harley fanfic, though it does feature some Joker/Harley as well.
Green's My Favorite Color provides examples of:
- Accent Slipup: While working at the asylum, Harleen forces down her natural accent to appear more professional. If she gets agitated, she can slip back into her heavy accent.
- Adaptational Sexuality: Instead of Ambiguously Bi or outright bisexual, Poison Ivy is lesbian.
- Alternate Universe Fic: While still working at Arkham, Harley Quinn becomes Poison Ivy's doctor as well as the Joker's.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Poison Ivy's self-dehumanization, disdain towards humans, extreme humanization of plants, and ability to "hear" plants is painted as disorderly, yet no diagnosis is mentioned.
- Attempted Rape: Three men try to rape Ivy in chapter 4. Ivy kills all three of them, steals their money, and sleeps in one of the guy's apartment.
- Cut Himself Shaving: Harley is covered in bruises from her boyfriend. When questioned about them by Ivy, she says that they're from being a criminal and getting into fights with Batman.
- Domestic Abuse: Inbetween setting Poison Ivy free and becoming Harley Quinn, Harley enters an abusive relationship with the Joker.
- Patchwork Fic: The story is a mix of comic canon and Batman: The Animated Series canon.
- Witch with a Capital "B": When talking to Harleen, Joker calls Ivy a "heartless witch".