A few years after the Great Thaw, Arendelle exchanges diplomats with the neighboring kingdom of Frentis. Elsa finds herself bonding with Lord Absalom's children, especially with his spritely daughter Kyra. However, soon it becomes clear to both women that their friendship is more than meets the eye.
The Alphabet Story is a short Frozen fanfic by gethsemane342. Its name derives from how its scenes are split into prompts done in alphabetical order. The fic is an Elsa/OC story where Elsa falls for a visiting diplomat's daughter.
The Alphabet Story contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Elsa loves Kyra and has never felt such feelings for a man, however she doesn't know if she is lesbian, if she is into just Kyra, or if she hasn't met the right man. It is, however, implied that she's most likely lesbian, as is Kyra.
- Ambiguously Bi: Kyra implies that Ludvig might be bisexual.
- The Beard:
- A few weeks into their relationship, Kyra allows herself to be courted by a man. However, her family is well-aware that she's doing it for them, not herself. Kyra ends up engaged to Ludvig, which causes her and Elsa to break up in order to avoid infidelity.
- Averted with Elsa. She refuses to marry a man just to pretend.
- Bittersweet Ending: Elsa and Kyra break up due to Krya's upcoming marriage. However there's a heavily implied Maybe Ever After between them.
- Kyra imitating Elsa's habit of putting her hands behind her back happens near the start of the fic and near the end as well.
- Elsa and Kyra first became close when Elsa found Kyra alone by a balcony eating krumkake during a party. The fic ends with Kyra running away from a party to be in the gardens alone. Elsa finds her and offers her krumkake.
- Celibate Hero: For most of her life Elsa was apathetic of romance due to her issues revolving around loving others. By the start of the story she's more interested in romance but can't find herself to be interested in any of her suitors.
- Closet Key: Kyra is one to Elsa. She didn't understand her sexuality until she met Kyra.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Kyra hypothetically mentions wanting to kill a man, Elsa misunderstands and rambles about whether or not she'd have diplomatic immunity.
- Homoerotic Dream: When still in denial about her feelings, Elsa is noted to have these types of dreams about Kyra.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog:
- Kristoff's excuse to avoid a party is that it's his mother's birthday. The problem is that he already used that excuse that year.
- Hans' family is terrified of Elsa, so they always decline her invitations by saying they're busy.
- Internalized Categorism: Elsa, and to a lesser extent Kyra, have a lot of internalized homophobia due to their society. Elsa still also has some issues with her self-image.
- Love at First Sight: Elsa is attracted to Kyra from the start, but she doesn't understand the feeling. Anna notices but Elsa dismisses her because Elsa doesn't associate her feelings with romance
- First-Name Basis: Kyra and Elsa make this leap early on. Kyra insists on not being called "Lady Laukkanen" while Elsa finds it simpler to be called by her name instead of by a lengthy title.
- Mistaken for Gay: Elsa believes that Kendar implying that his sister is in love with a woman is suspicious. She comes to a conclusion that he was really talking about himself and that's also why he stopped courting her.
- Mistaken for Junkie: When Elsa starts discussing narcotics in a metaphor Kyra asks her if she's been abusing them.
- Mistaken for Romance:
- Others think that Elsa is frustrated about Kedar dumping her when their relationship was always platonic. Elsa is actually upset over Kyra.
- Elsa tells Kyra that she's in love with someone. She slips on the second sentence and keeps repeating "My sister", prompting Kyra to question if she's in love with Anna.
- Secret Relationship: Elsa and Kyra try to keep one but it's shown to be very difficult. Rumors inevitably start spreading that Elsa has a female lover.
- Theme Twin Naming: The twins Kedar and Kyra both have names that start with "k".
- Title Drop: Dropped before Elsa and Kyra confess to each other:Elsa: "You met her in Arendelle, didn't you?"Kyra: "Yes. But it's not going to work out. I mean, how can it? You know, in Frentis they say finding someone you love is as easy as ABC. Which it is for some people I guess. But they can't all be as easy as ABC. Like your sister for example. So I think maybe there are some easy ABC stories and then some harder ABCDEF stories. But stories like ours I can't see them even being as easy as ABCDEF. They're just too difficult."Elsa: "So they'd probably use up most or all of the letters then. Does that make them alphabet stories?"Kyra: "Alphabet stories. I like that. I guess at least we know how the alphabet ends."