- Year 462 of the Freeport Calendar. The Systems Alliance, descendant of the Frontier Militia, must contend with a situation unlike any other in its history: First Contact.At the centre of all this, Pilot Jane Shepard and Titan KN-6D1687 (Kenneth) find themselves thrown headfirst into a new frontier, ready to face whatever the galaxy can throw at them.Stand by for Titanfall.
Parallel Processing is a crossover between Titanfall and Mass Effect. It can also be found here on FanFiction.Net.
As of January 2018, being rewritten as Parallel Instances (on temporary hiatus). The reboot can also be read here on FanFiction.Net.
This story provides examples of:
- Deuteragonist: While the story features Shepherd, Nihlus gets significantly more screen time than he did in Mass Effect 1, serves as the main viewpoint for the Mass Effect side, and is the recipient of the Prothean Beacon.
- Drinking Game: A poster on the Citadel forums suggests one about a So Bad, It's Good Alliance movie. Another poster states the rules will kill a krogan half an hour in.
- Formula-Breaking Episode: The story occasionally features interludes of a Citadel forum named Ascent, which generally focuses on the layman's reactions to events that happen in the story. Other chapters are simply in-universe documents.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: It turns out that the Alliance not only has working time travel technology, but has used it to repeat history over two-thousand times in an attempt to survive past events that lead to their destruction in other timelines.
- Grow Beyond Their Programming: Binaries are Alliance AI who are fully sentient and have been integrated into Alliance society to the point of having their own governing body and being able to "have" children with each other and humans via brain scanning. Nazara AKA Sovereign offered to make the heretic geth full individuals while still being linked by a network. Prime, a true geth who managed to escape part way through the process, is as individual and human as any binary, even having habits like stuttering when caught off guard or nervous.
- Just a Machine: As in the original series, the Citadel races have issues regarding synthetic life, especially since the Alliance has fully embraced binaries as people and given them full rights as citizens. They even offer amnesty to any geth who want to come to Alliance space.
- Robosexual: Human/binary relations are common in the Alliance, to the point of having both organic and synthetic children together. A few Citadel citizens also become attracted to binaries after being introduced to Alliance entertainment.
- Time Skip: The story takes place several hundred years after the events of Titanfall 2.
- Time Travel: Given the story takes place post-Titanfall 2, this was inevitable. Cerberus is hinted to be using time travel as a major part of their operations since one of their Pilots had the same time traveling device Cooper uses in Titanfall 2. Several STG agents have also been "timenapped" after visiting SA space.