Sunset Shimmer has finally rebuilt her life at Canterlot High. She has friends, she's in a band, people like her, everything's going great...
And then out of nowhere, she turns back into a small talking unicorn.
Now, with the help of her friends, she has to figure out why she's suddenly a pony in a human world, and whether or not she can become human again...or will have to leave her new life and go back to Equestria.
- Adult Fear: Human Sunset spent years homeless and without any memory of who she was. Then in turns out her parents were killed in a car crash, and she regains her memory only to discover someone else has claimed and used her identity.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Fluttershy proves eager to brush Sunset's mane.
- Ambiguously Evil: Human Tirek is tall, intimidating, ambitious, scornful of his brother and father for being weak, and is considered suspicious by the main characters, but has not yet revealed any malevolent intent.
- Baleful Polymorph: Sunset's unicorn body, while rich with magic, prevents her from being able to leave her home.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Sonata is as ditzy as in canon, but she quite vocally advises the Rainbooms to shoot Starlight Glimmer.
- Cuteness Proximity: Fluttershy and Vice Principal Luna both can't help but gush at Sunset's unicorn form.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Pinkie gains Earth Pony strength, but ends up causing damage due to her excitable nature. While at a grocery store, she damages a shopping cart and dents the floor. She accidentally sends her sister Limestone flying when she pushes her to stop her from pulling on her pony ears. During a moment of passion, she accidentally breaks a table in the cafeteria.
- Enemy Mine: The Rainbooms reluctantly agree to work with The Dazzlings to get rid of Starlight after they all find out she has powerful Equestrian magic and is a threat to all of them.
- Faux Affably Evil: Starlight Glimmer acts overtly friendly, but speaks very passive-aggressively and seeks to intrude in the lives of others.
- Godzilla Threshold:
- Princess Twilight realizes if she can't stop the flow of magic, she may have to close the portal, and Sunset would have to go back to Equestria.
- Starswirl the Bearded made it a habit of sending malevolent beings to the human world when they proved too powerful to stop.
- Humanity Ensues: Inverted with Sunset, who turns back into her pony form due to the effects of keeping the portal open. Twilight and Moondancer eventually come up with a spell that can disguise Sunset as human temporarily.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: The Dazzlings due to being unable to regain their Siren magic. Their attempt to confront the Humane 6 at a taco joint falls apart due to them being outmatched magically. Human Tirek quickly sees through Adagio when she tries to sway him to an alliance.
- Little Bit Beastly: The Humane 5 and the Dazzlings revert to their "anthro" forms, with the former gaining some Equestrian magic to go with it.
- "Not So Different" Remark: The human versions of Twilight and Tirek realize they are alike in that they both seek something. Tirek wants real power to be able to control his own life and Twilight wants to learn and understand everything there is to know.
- Now You Tell Me: When Pinkie accidentally breaks a shopping cart at the grocery store, the manager gets mad at her while she blames it on the cart being fragile. After walking away, Pinkie gets a call from Sunset who informs her she now has Earth pony strength. Pinkie says this word-for-word upon realizing she has to apologize to the manager now.
- Old Shame: In-Universe, Sunset conned a wealthy and lonely old man into putting her in his will. Not proud to admit that, she claims her money came from the gold coins she brought with her.
- Power Crystal: Human Tirek carries a crystal that can detect magic. It is suspected to have been created by Starswirl the Bearded.
- Science at the Speed of Plot: Averted. The process of determining the malfunction of the portal requires tons of research and variables on the part of Princess Twilight.
- Serial Escalation: First Sunset must grapple with being turned back into a pony, and the Humane 5 must grapple with being stuck in their "anthro" forms. The the Dazzlings regain some of their magic. Then Tirek and Twilight's human counterpart start researching the magic. Then it turns out Sunset's human counterpart has been homeless and amnesiac. Then windigoes reappear and start spreading snow and hatred. Then Starlight Glimmer comes to Canterlot disguised as a her human self and working as a teacher, and Human Sunset regains her memories.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Human Tirek forgives Princess Twilight for attacking him unprovoked, when she reveals what his Equestrian counterpart did.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Rainbow's dad is pretty chill about his daughter having wings and pony ears. Maud is also pretty chill about Pinkie having pony ears too. Averted with the rest of the Humane 6's family, who react as any normal person would to such transformations.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Sonata's suggestion for dealing with Starlight Glimmer is to just shoot her. This idea is denied because The Rainbooms don't want to be arrested afterwards.