After the events of Last Light, Artyom is sent to investigate the disappearances in the Prospekt Mira-Rizhskaya tunnel. There, he loses consciousness and when he wakes up he finds himself on the surface. Not just any surface, but the surface of the world of Remnant.
Soon after, Artyom and the Dark One child (later named Malysh), find themselves getting involved in the troubles of Remnant.
Light at the End contains the following tropes:
- Adorkable: Malysh. Justified, since he's in a disguise. His true form is scary enough to scare Ironwood.
- Boring, but Practical: Artyom's new weapon in Remnant is a scaled up, advanced weapon based off of the Vintorez. Unlike most weapons used by Huntsmen and Huntresses, it only has one mode; firearm mode.
- Combat Pragmatist: Artyom, full stop. Ruby beating you in a training match? Shoot out the lights, and take advantage of your years in the darkness of the Metro to sneak up on her! Need an improvised explosive? Some fire dust and a bent gun barrel will do the trick!
- Curb-Stomp Battle In the Center Of The Mind: Artyom goes into Cinder's mind to free the pieces of Amber's soul, returning the full power of the Fall Maiden to her. Artyom easily ignores Cinder's mental attempts to fight back, and notes that her soul is so whithered that he might be able to destroy it right than and there.
- For Want of a Nail: Artyom and Malysh's arrival derail the RWBY canon.
- Mind Rape: How Malysh defeats Mercury.
- Mundane Luxury: For Artyom, it's almost everything that the people of Remnant taken for granted. Clean air, drinkable water, fruits, and many other things.
- Poirot Speak: Not extremely common, but Artyom does slip a few Russian words into his speech from time to time.
- Psychic Block Defense: When Emerald tries to use her powers on Artyom to make him think she disappeared, they work for a little bit... only for her to then reappear a few steps away, scream and fall unconscious with blood coming out of her nose
- Reality Ensues:
- Artyom is an incredibly skilled Ranger, but he has little training when it comes to Aura, and has difficulty fighting Ruby during training. While he has caught up somewhat, he is no match for Ozpin or Cinder... until he forces his way into her mind.
- Maiden powers or no, Amber has spent a ton of time in a coma, and will have to go through therapy to get her limbs back into shape
- Reliably Unreliable Guns: The Bastard Gun, which is little more than a piece of metal with a firing pin and a barrel. The first weapon that Artyom creates when he arrives in Remnant. Ruby doesn't like it.
- This Is My Name on Foreign: At the beginning of the story, Artyom simply refers to the Dark One child as "Little One". When he first gains the ability to speak... whatever it is they speak on Remnant, he accidentally slips back into Russian, and refers to him as Malysh, which is Russian for "Little One"note , which Ruby assumes is his name. Malysh decides to say yes, since the two of them realise that Malysh didn't actually have a name beforehand.
- Vodka Drunkenski: Averted. Artyom only drinks during social event or celebration. It's just that he's used to drinking Shroom Vodka, which is strong enough to "knock you on your ass." Thus, he can remain sober while Amber starts to get drunk.