Zelda and Samus are both women competing in the world war, however they couldn't be more different. While Zelda is a soft and emotional princess, Samus is a cold and stoic warrior. The two don't get along and don't even talk to each other. Still, they find themselves becoming closer than expected, especially when Samus takes note of Zelda's Enemy Within Sheik.
Flinch is a dark Zelda/Sheik and Sheik/Samus series. It's devoid of romance and fluff, with instead the pairings being decidedly aggressive and toxic.
The Flinch series contains examples of:
- Adaptational Jerkass: Both Sheik and Samus are much crueler, colder, and more violent than in their source games or in Smash Bros.
- Adaptational Villainy: Sheik is not just Zelda as a bifauxnen, nor she is she an aloof alter ego like in other fanfics. She's the embodiment of all of Zelda's pent up aggression and negativity. Sheik has no positive elements. She is simply bitter and violent.
- Adaptational Wimp: Zelda in Brawl is a Lady of War and, while not a top tier character, she isn't terrible from a meta standpoint. In these fics she can't even land a punch. She's very weak despite training the second hardest out of the fighters, likely because she doesn't have the heart to actually fight. Zelda is also depicted as more of an Actual Pacifist than in the games proper.
- Blood Knight:
- Sheik is very violent and enjoys making her opponents suffer.
- Though not to the degree of Sheik, Samus enjoys fighting and has quite a blood-lust.
- Chick Magnet: It's mentioned that Link has become famous due to the Smash tournament and has attracted the eye of many. He is most interested in Zelda, however she isn't in love with him.
- Composite Character: Zelda is based on the Twilight Princess Zelda but it's mentioned that she helped Link as Sheik, like the Ocarina of Time Zelda.
- Dark Fic: Unlike in the games, Bloodless Carnage is not a thing at all. Fighters can't die in battle, however they do bleed and bones can break. The audiences are blood-hungry, so the more blood, the better. On a plot level, the characters are much darker than in canon.
- Downer Ending: After getting beat by Zelda in a No Holds Barred Beat Down, Samus is not allowed treatment. She ends up dying of her injuries.
- Nobody Can Die: Invoked. Death is not possible in battles and the medics always completely fix injuries with their technology.
- Rape by Proxy: Sheik's way of fixing the fued between Zelda and Samus is to pretend to be Zelda and seduce Samus.
- Slash Fic: It's a Zelda/Samus-themed series.
- Split Personality: Sheik and Zelda are two very different personalities sharing one body. Sheik is violent and mean while Zelda is pacifistic and gentle.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: The traumatic loss of her parents, her upbringing amongst the Chozo, and her lifestyle as a bounty-hunter has left Samus emotionally stunted. She doesn't understand her own emotions, especially the ones she feels towards Zelda.
- Would Not Hurt A Child: Zelda is horrified at having to fight Pit and the Ice Climbers. She dodges them during their two-on-two with her and Samus.