With no other choice, he moves on.
(Or where Katsuki tries to mind his own business and fails spectacularly because he can't stand people pissing over those who gained his respect. Even Deku. Especially Deku.)"
The Decrescente series is a My Hero Academia fanfiction series by WabiSabi. It follows (formerly) twenty-five year-old Pro Hero Bakugo Katsuki, who wakes up twenty-two years in the past in his three year-old body. The first and currently only fic new eyes is in progress and can be found here. The fic was last updated on January 22, 2019.
This series contains the following tropes:
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul: Bakugo regrets his actions towards his Midoriya and becomes present Midoriya's real friend rather than his bully.
- Adaptational Sexuality: It's a BakuDeku fic. Bakugo is gay with no interest in girls while Midoriya is either gay or bi, though he does not know it yet since he is only three.
- Adult Fear:
- Three year-old Bakugo runs away from his preschool during the middle of the day and wanders the streets for hours before he is found.
- An (apparent) three year-old calling a Pro Hero's private number is enough to alarm All Might. When he hears a child speaking, he immediately asks Bakugo if something is wrong, where he is, and how he got this number.
- Alternate Universe: Although Bakugo wants to mind his own business, he has no intention of following the previous timeline. He makes small but rippling changes by being much kinder to Midoriya but also makes huge changes that make his previous future impossible by telling All Might about Tomura, resulting in his rescue from All For One.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Averted. Bakugo has PTSD, though it has not been diagnosed by a doctor yet. They blame his erratic behavior on an intelligence Quirk.
- Ambiguous Situation: Something terrible happened to Future Midoriya which left Bakugo traumatized. Based on what has been revealed, Deku may have been accidentally possessed by a young boy he tried to save, killing Midoriya in the process. Regardless of what happened, something isn't right about Future Midoriya after he encounters that kid.
- Ascended Extra: Bakugo's parents play huge roles in the fic, primarily through their worries about their son's odd behavior.
- Bilingual Bonus: Decrescente means "descending" in Italian.
- Broken Pedestal: Downplayed. Bakugo still respects All Might but he does not admire him as much as he used to since he now knows All Might is just a man and men are fallible. Midoriya's idealistic fanboying over All Might annoys him as a result.
- Cassandra Truth: Any time Bakugo tells someone his intelligence is not his Quirk they patronizingly try to placate him or think he's upset he didn't get a cooler Quirk.
- Children Are Cruel: Downplayed with Midoriya. He admits he hates his mom for treating him differently because he is Quirkless (though in his defense, he does not really hate her and only means it in a childish way). He also abandons Bakugo like everyone else because he is scared of him. He eventually regrets this and wants to become friends again.
- Cliffhanger: Chapter sixteen ends with Bakugo violently awakening his Explosion Quirk (knocking himself out) and a flashback (forward?) to Future Midoriya which reveals he may have been possessed by a child he tried to save.
- Driving Question: What happened to Future Midoriya and did Bakugo kill him?
- Entertainingly Wrong: Everyone believes Bakugo has an intelligence Quirk.
- Emotional Maturity Is Physical Maturity: Bakugo struggles with this as his twenty-five year-old and three year-old self fight for control, leaving him ricocheting between mature logic and childish whims. For example, he can't bring himself to play with superhero action figures due to real life experience in the field, but finds himself fascinated by cartoons.
- Fair Weather Friend: Midoriya abandons Bakugo out of fear just like the rest of the class after he punches his classmate. He eventually regrets this and tries to rekindle their friendship.
- Fix Fic:
- Bakugo is much nicer to Midoriya and becomes the first (and only) person to tell him that he can be a hero even if he is Quirkless. This gives Midoriya support he lacked in canon.
- Bakugo's actions cause Tenko Shimura to be rescued by All Might, which stops him from becoming the Society-hating Tomura Shigaraki of Bakugo's future.
- For Want of a Nail: Bakugo tells All Might about Tenko and he rescues Nana's grandson from All For One. He also warns him about the Nomu.
- It's All My Fault: It's unknown what happened to Future Midoriya but whatever it was, Bakugo blames himself for it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Bakugo is his brash, crass, and rude self but protects Midoriya from bullies and genuinely wants to be his friend.
- Not Now, Kiddo: Many adults do not take Bakugo seriously because of his age, to his frustration. They dismiss his claims that he does not have an intelligence Quirk and believe he's merely a child who is disappointed with the Quirk he got.
- Slasher Smile: Future Deku (or someone possessing him) grins madly as he laughs at Bakugo and says Kacchan noticed him.
- Time Travel: The premise of the story is that Pro Hero Katsuki Bakugo is sent to the past, into his child body. Unlike many examples, Bakugo does not mean to end up in the past or fix anything. Once he is there he resolves to not interfere. That resolve does not last long as he warns All Might about All For One and gets him to rescue Tenko.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Due to a combination of his increased maturity and understanding of Midoriya, Bakugo is much nicer to him this time around and remains his friend after he is declared Quirkless.