Ruby finds a red stone in the middle of the Emerald Forest, only it's not a stone. Now in addition to her studies at Beacon Academy, she must learn what it means to be a Rider in a world where she is the first. Her life will never be the same.
The story is complete, with 48 chapters. The fanfic can be found here.
A Rose's Scales Series provides examples of:
- Cyborg: This is basically what Ruby becomes. Add In her own Weapons Crafting Genius and of course she keeps improving on it.
- For Want of a Nail: Aaron bringing the Dragon Eggs to Remnant created quite a few nails
- Hope Spot: Just as it seems that Penny will live after Ozpin stops the match between Pyrrha and Penny. Something (later to be relieved to be her power core being damaged during the fight) explodes inside Penny.
- Human Traffickers: The Nevermores, naming themselves after the flying Grimm with the same name are this. They're destroyed by team RWBY, CFVY, Aaron and Atlas.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite getting Ozpin to stop the match between Penny and Pyrrha. Penny still dies due to something (later to be relieved to be her power core that got damaged during the fight) exploding inside her.
- Stations of the Canon: Things like the Battle of Beacon but not it's fall and the Breach of Vale still happen despite things going differently. Considering these events were well underway there wasn't much RUBY and Aaron could have done to prevent them.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: Rhunön. After being taught by Rhunön. This becomes one of Ruby's new jobs.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Most of the Vale Council decides to be (expect Ozpin who is the Only Sane Man) this when it comes to discussing the Dragon Riders and the prison that was designed to hold any that go rouge.
- Only Sane Man: Ozpin is this on the Vale Council's meeting on what the Dragon Riders can legally do and the prison designed to hold them.
- Human Traffickers: The Nevermores.