Summary from the author: "It's not like Rigby wants to feel the way he does. He just does. And he's struggling to keep his feelings to himself. I don't think he can keep this up for long... Meanwhile, the creature that dwells in the dump grows impatient." That only gives away the first part of the story out of more than thousands of words written in each chapter.
It starts with them waking up to another job that both of them doesn't want to do. Their first task was to collect the bags full of garbage. After some horsing around in-between that, they went to the dump where a tentacled monster eats the garbage. It all sets the story in motion here when Mordecai was heavily injured by the monster and Rigby getting poisoned from drinking some of the monster's blood for biting it. It doesn't end there yet as the story is about to progress to how the two characters really feel for each other.
This is possibly one of the more acclaimed stories in the Regular Show fanfiction community. Other than that, it's also one of the more mature stories there (well...at least among many others. There's a reason that the story was once rated 'Fiction M' so we'll try our best to only put the basic stuff in here that is SFW). The fanfic (now complete since 8-2-12) took more than a year to finish and got rave attention. This despite the fact it's the only fic written by him so far.
A must read for fans of this pairing. Start reading here.
Provides examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Vital that the main characters avert this if they want to be together again.
- Mordecai and Margaret? Let's just say that they had a chance...
- And Zoidberg: Those who are not so fond of Muscle Man might find it relieving that he's left out from the adventures everybody else went through. He's technically the only worker in the park left before Don comes in as a temp.
- Breakout Character: High Five Ghost has a...truly interesting and useful role here.
- Description Porn: Contributed to the innumerable word counts it has. So many words in one chapter makes you see how dedicated the author is just to finish it.
- Development Hell: Aforementioned; it took more than a year to finish. Even surpassing the very date the story was posted so it marked the anniversary of the fic while in the middle of the story.
- Doorstopper: This fanfic is 108,281 words spread out over twenty-two chapters.
- Dying Dream: Mordecai and Rigby are both in a coma after the battle with the monster, and they relive fond memories of each other.
- Everyone Is Bi]: If Mordecai and Rigby weren't enough, there's a mini subplot involving Benson and Skips.
- Extremely Short Time Span: It's explicitly stated by the title and the chapter titles' dates that the story takes place within two weeks (12 days, to be exact) in the month of August. Except for the very last part.
- Four Lines, All Waiting: The two aren't the only ones in focus here. After all of the workers in the park, left to save Rigby, the scene shifts from under the caves, to the park where the only remaining characters are Pops and Muscle Man and Margaret and Eileen who are now under the caves, trying to help the others.
- Gorn: The story describes blood and the character's struggles when they are fatally injured in some way.
- Heroic Sacrifice: A mushroom elder gives up his own life to save Rigby who was bleeding profusely when a monster - that happens to be linked to his soul - is speared to death. Thus, he too suffers.
- Interrupted Suicide: Poor Rigby tried to end it all by jumping of a cliff after reuniting with Mordecai. Good thing the latter stopped him.
- Mindlink Mates: The new monster that is occupied within the dump does whatever Rigby does because it has a bit of Rigby's soul. This is from when he, suddenly coughed up a marble (that is actually an egg) after awakening from a coma. How it got there was maybe because of how he attacked the monster by biting and accidentally swallowing some of its blood.
- Mood Whiplash: One point in the story is when after Mordecai told Margaret that he and Rigby have been fu—you know the rest, the scene switches to a side story about Benson and Skips in their early years.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The intention of giving Pops some assertive qualities.
- Your Soul is Mine!: The new monster has a chunk of Rigby's soul because of that, he is destined to die within two days as a voice that went through High Five Ghost, says so.