Long ago in ancient Japan, there lived the a beautiful fox princess named Inari. One night while she was sleeping, a band of oni, led by the demonic dragon Orochi, broke into her castle and kidnapped her. However, she was able to send out a distress note, hoping someone would find it. Fortunately, someone did find it. A ninja frog named Jiraiya saw her note flying through the air and grabbed it. Realizing the princess was in danger, the ninja frog sets out to defeat the Orochi and his Onirochi clan.
Jiraiya contains examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Orochi is a pinkish-purple demon.
- Bag of Kidnapping: In the opening sequence, Princess Inari is put in a bag.
- Big Bad: Orochi
- Color-Coded Elements: Each member of Onirochi Clan is different color based on what element of the Furinkazan they represent. Earth is black, fire is red, forest is green, and wind is white.
- Damsel in Distress: Princess Inari
- Distress Call: Before her capture, Princess Inari is able to send out a note in hopes that someone will get it. Luckily, Jiraiya does.
- Fantastic Foxes: Princess Inari is a fox.
- Frog Ninja: Played straight with Jiraiya.
- The Hero: Jiraiya
- It's a Wonderful Failure: Should the player choose not to continue after getting a game over, they are treated to a mocking by Orochi. After he finishes, the screen fades to white and we hear the cry for help of Princess Inari, followed by Orochis laugh.
- Japanese Mythology: The game borrows heavily from Japanese folklore and mythology.
- Save the Princess: Played straight. The player must save Princess Inari.
- Smooch of Victory: Jiraiya receives one from Inari in the ending.
- World of Funny Animals: All of the characters are either anthropomorphic animals or demons.