René Barjavel, born on January 24th, 1911 in Nyons, France, and died on November 24th, 1985 in Paris, was a French writer and journalist mainly known for his anticipation novels, where science-fiction and fantastic express the angst felt in front of a technology we don't control anymore.
Some redundant thematics of his work are: fall of the civilisation caused by too much science or war, eternal and indestructible love (Ashes, Ashes; The Immortals; The Ice People; Une Rose au paradisnote ).
His work is poetic, dream-like and sometimes philosophical.
A science-fiction novels writing contest in Lyon (France) bears his name.
Novels by René Barjavel include:
- 1934 : Colette à la recherche de l'amour, Moulins. Conference text.note
- 1942 : Roland, le chevalier plus fier que le lionnote
- 1943 : Ashes, Ashes
- 1943 : Future Times Three
- 1946 : The Tragic Innocents
- 1948 : Le diable l'emportenote
- 1957 : Jour de feunote
- 1962 : Colomb de la lunenote
- 1968 : The Ice People
- 1969 : Les Chemins de Katmandounote
- 1973 : The Immortals
- 1973 : Presses de la Cité (Maison de la Presse Price 1973)note
- 1974 : Les Dames à la licorne (with Olenka de Veer)note
- 1977 : Les Jours du monde (sequel to Les Dames à la Licorne, with Olenka de Veer)note
- 1981 : Une rose au paradisnote
- 1982 : La Tempêtenote
- 1984 : L'Enchanteurnote
- 1985 : La Peau de Césarnote