Originally making dance music under the name Ecks Acksis, he switched to the alias Silent Cicada in 2011. In 2015, he stopped making music under the name Silent Cicada, opting for Nick Shutter instead. He would later create two more musical side-projects, ⌬ (pronounced "Benzene") and Dragon Altar. His artwork varies in nature, ranging from Horror pieces to FanArt to more abstract works.
- Concept Album: Nightshade and AD MORTEM, both of which are instrumental concept albums.
- Everything Is an Instrument: He used a creaking faucet handle in one of his pieces, and an air conditioning unit in another.
- Fan Work: Most notably, Yume Nikki Reimagined - a remix album of songs from the video game Yume Nikki.
- Grief Song: Every song on Ghosts of the Past Will Always Haunt Us.
- Incredibly Long Note: On some of his drone pieces.
- Lonely Piano Piece: Eigengrau and Happening.
- Loudness War: Intentionally avoided in much of his Ambient work, while some of his noisier releases have intentional audio clipping.
- Neo Classical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Often mixes genres in bizarre ways, including but not limited to having influences from IDM, Hardcore Techno, Glitch, Ambient, Ragtime, and Harsh Noise all in one track or album.
- New Sound Album: Nightshade was his first proper Ambient album, while Filth One signaled his move into noise music.
- Remaster: Much of his old work has been remastered. About half of the tracks from Yume Nikki Reimagined are remasters of old versions as well.
- Textless Album Cover: The majority of his album art is this.
- Scare Chord: Does this every once in a while, with a notable example in A Corpse in the Water.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Was formerly known as Ecks Acksis.